Keeley BD-2 or MI Audio Blue Boy deluxe?

Gypsyfan

• Members

Hey there-

Need something in between the Keeley Rat I'm running now for lower gain sounds that I could use in conjunction with the Rat to cascade it. Any help would be appreciated. The Blue Boys are so reasonable and lots of features....I'm tempted.

• Members

I run the Keeley RAT and BD2. I feel much the same about the BD2 as MkF. It covers a huge range of gain levels and is probably my no.1 pedal too.

That said, the BB is the next pedal I will buy. From samples and reviews, I gather that it's actually smoother than the BD2. The BD2 probably has more gain and more fuzz at the top end of the gain range. The BB is capable of being set to work with every setup. The BD2 was lo-fi in comparison to the ZIM. But the BD2 is delightfully scuzzy in a way I lovde, despite the gain structure being much tighter than stock.

I have high hopes that the BB will replace the BD2.

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

I run the Keeley RAT and BD2. I feel much the same about the BD2 as MkF. It covers a huge range of gain levels and is probably my no.1 pedal too.

That said, the BB is the next pedal I will buy. From samples and reviews, I gather that it's actually smoother than the BD2. The BD2 probably has more gain and more fuzz at the top end of the gain range. The BB is capable of being set to work with every setup. The BD2 was lo-fi in comparison to the ZIM. But the BD2 is delightfully scuzzy in a way I lovde, despite the gain structure being much tighter than stock.

I have high hopes that the BB will replace the BD2.

i had a Keeley BD-2 and a BB, but not at the same time. I sold the BD because the single tone knob wasn't enough to work with my unusual amp EQ, but if it does...it's very nice.

I think you'd be suprised at the amount of gain the BB can have Dan...not that you'd use it for that. Anyway, my pick would be the BBD due to it's adjustablility (including switching chips), but if that's not an issue, than either based on taste. The BBD seems smoother and not as bright overall, but can be bright if you want it too.

• Members

Hey Jimbo,
Live, the BD2 gets a lot of use...light gain, half way and fully up for pseudo fuzz (so I don't have to run the Fuzz Factory on the board). So yeah, I would run it at higher gain.

Juts got back from New Zealand, so the BB is on the cards now.

Do you know if Michael still uses the same chip he started with? There was some chip that a lot of people and then (maybe) Michael decided he liked it more...? I've forgotten the story...

• Members

What, the whole LM833 (or whatever it was) saga? Yeah, that was scrapped apparantly because there was no consistency in results, so its back to the old 4558. Still, he'd probably put one in if you asked.

As soon as mine arrives I'm ordering one of these: OPA2604AP. A little pricey for an IC but apparantly they're real nice.

• Members
Originally posted by Fourth Floor

Do you know if Michael still uses the same chip he started with? There was some chip that a lot of people and then (maybe) Michael decided he liked it more...? I've forgotten the story...

Yeah, he thought about changing it to an LM072 (going on my crap memory) but I think he decided to stay with the generic sounding ship given that most people will probably try out his setting for a TS even though they bought that damn thing to avoid that.:D

I think he found that even though he liked some other chips better (his preference albeit mine too based on his description) but I don't think he thought they were consistent enough in quality and you know how many idiots to the flame that would attract.

Do you know what the story with Tiki is...I tried to PM him with no luck...I no longer have his email since my last HD died but PM whould still work huh?

• Members

Nah, haven't heard from Simon for a while. He had that post not so long ago about being back from the Maldives or Mauritius or something....

He told me he lived in the hills more than an hour out of Sydney...Youse guys are hermits. Moreso than me. :D

I need one of these Mi pedals.

Archived