Overdrive Pedals

chris49

• Members

I have a marshall js-1 jackhammer, as well as the overdrive settings on my marshall mg 100-dfx. i want to buy another overdrive pedal though. i want something really in your face,clean and crisp. but i do not want a distortion pedal. what is the best one for me to get?

• Members

Hi,
I'm not too familiar with marshalls, but if it is a tube amp, i would recommend checking out an Ibanez tube screamer. They pretty much drive the tube amp so it distorts more and gives you a warm overdriven distortion that sounds very natural and cuts through in a mix. There are a couple of different types of tube screamers, I have a turbo one which I like. which is about $100.

• Members

Yeah the Bad Monkey is a good choice for the money, it has enough headroom to do a quasi clean boost too. I don't regret buying mine at all.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed this part...
'Unfortuneatly it isn't a valve amp", so the Bad Monkey clean boost idea will sound like ass, might still be a good choice as an OD, its quite versatile.

• Members

Originally posted by chris49

Would a Barber LTD work with a non-vavle/tube amp?

I posted in your other thread. I think that amp is going to really be the deciding factor of your sound. I say save your money on the LTD (which isn't that expensive), get a Dod 250 which is the same circuitry, and start looking for a starter tube amp like a Classic 20 or 30. Cheaper tube amps surface a lot nowadays. That is the first step in improving your tone.

• Members

what i have found out about Bad monkey's (i am a owner of one) that when you use them on a solid state amp like your marshall its more of a boost and helps clear up your muddy tone that you could get. No matter how broke someone is every guitarist should own a bad monkey thats just what i think though. Bad monkeys are really good and really affordable. I Love it

• Members
Originally posted by beezdeez

I posted in your other thread. I think that amp is going to really be the deciding factor of your sound. I say save your money on the LTD (which isn't that expensive), get a Dod 250 which is the same circuitry, and start looking for a starter tube amp like a Classic 20 or 30. Cheaper tube amps surface a lot nowadays. That is the first step in improving your tone.

you are incorrect sir in saying that the barber
LTD is based on a DOD 250, as well as the price you alluded to in another post. the LTD
is not $30.00. personally, i think the little brat
shoud get a vox valvetronix ad 30vt
:)

• Members
Originally posted by evilbuttmuncher

what i have found out about Bad monkey's (i am a owner of one) that when you use them on a solid state amp like your marshall its more of a boost and helps clear up your muddy tone that you could get. No matter how broke someone is every guitarist should own a bad monkey thats just what i think though. Bad monkeys are really good and really affordable. I Love it

i have so many great o.d. pedals it ain't funny
but i still dig my bad monkey! heavy little bastard.:mad:

Archived