moderate distortion, not metal

dach123

• Members

I need some help getting through the maze.

I play a Strat through a Deluxe Reverb. My band plays a lot of classic rock and country. Most of the time I play clean. We mic the amps, so I have my amp volume set around 3, which is nice and clean.

I'm looking for something versatile, to get from Santana to ZZ Top. I'm not looking for overdrive, but a pedal that creates the distortion itself.

I have tried all the BOSS pedals, since my local store has them all set up. I borrowed a MZ2 for a while - this is too distorted for me. So I think anything "metal" is not what I want. I think pretty much the BOSS pedals are variations on this same type of distortion. So let's say, no BOSS. Also, they are really noisy with the gain turned up. So "low noise" is important.

I found the Tonebone website and listened to samples of their 2 distortion pedals. They sounded good, for what it's worth.

I have a tube screamer, which I like. I think what it does is drive the amp, so I don't think it really adds distortion on its own. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Any suggestions? If I'm way off on some assumptions, just tell me :) Thanks in advance.

• Members

Does the rat have much range in the degree of distortion?

The thing I didn't like about the Metal Zone was that the sound was really distorted, period. Not musical at all. I don' t know how much you can trust the mp3 samples on the company website, but the Tonebone seems to have a good variety of sounds.

• Members

I'm in the same boat as you...trying to dirty up a strat/DR combo...

...the best results I've had to date are with cascading OD /dirt pedals with the fulldrive2 coloring the sound last. Right now I'm running a direct drive and an HAO rust driver into the FD2. It only sounds good pushing the tubes but with the combination (and the FD2's boost) I can get some decent overdriven tones...

The rat will give you distortion but I wouldn't call it versatile at all. It really flattens out the sound compared to the pedals I use. It's almost like an all or nothing kinda deal. It does the sterile, tight distortion thing pretty well...but santana or zz top? I wouldn't say so....

• Members

Originally posted by dach123

I have tried all the BOSS pedals, since my local store has them all set up. I borrowed a MZ2 for a while - this is too distorted for me. So I think anything "metal" is not what I want. I think pretty much the BOSS pedals are variations on this same type of distortion. So let's say, no BOSS. Also, they are really noisy with the gain turned up. So "low noise" is important.

Trust me:

I think a Robert Keeley modified Blues Driver will get you where you want to go in style. Call or email his shop if you think you need it hotter.

~MkF!

"Black jack!"

• Members

Cascading the pedals! Doh! I didn't even think of that. I have the BD2, too, and by itself it doesn't do much. I figured it just didn't drive the amp as much as the tube screamer.

The Keely mods get really good reviews. I'm starting to think that would be worth trying.

thanks again.

• Members

The batteries last for months because I don't play any one guitar for hours on end.

I don't always have the preamp activated ( I set it about halfway just to get me over the hump). Plus, each guitar has it's own sound with or without the preamp activated.

I like the amp completely overdriven or completely clean. I don't like anything in between for my playing style, but I do like Jake E. Lee's tone.

• Members

I have a radial tonebone hot british.. It will do everything your looking for.. It has awesome natural harmonic distortion..

I use it as my lead pedal on my jcm 900.. It goes from ac dc type chunk all the way to billy gibbons saturation..

Check it out. I got mine for less than 200 bucks brand new.

Archived