Free Crybaby problems (Wah!)

Tone Eee

• Members

A buddy is moving and gave me a crybaby ('90s version) that looks new but has a broken switch. Well, I've never been a wah-o-phile, but maybe this is the time to start! Do I just replace the switch or try and make it true bypass or even gut it and turn it into a modded beastie? Any fans of the newer pc-board dunlop pedals, or does it behoove me to dump money into this sucker?

• Members

The True bypass mod on a jack mounted to the pcb version of a crybaby is slightly more complicated than a wah with the jacked actually wired up. It can be done but include cutting of traces and adding some wiring.

A free wah is a free wah so changing out the switch to have a good working wah is cool. Besides I do not think the Crybaby layout sucks as much tone as a Vox. If you see more than 2 transistors it most likely has an input buffer and this design appears to suck a hell of a lot less tone than the non buffered Vox v847 design.

I prefer the true bypass vox design, none the less, but we are talk free here aren't we?

• Members

If you dont want it I will take it I have needed a new project to work on.

But True Bypass mods arent very difficult to do the only other thing I can think of you might have a problem with is the Pot could be scratchy or not working. You can replace that with a regular pot cheap or get an actual wah pot that is supposed to last longer, the problem being a wah pot will run you 18 dollars and up.

Archived