Picked up a Boss OD-3

Lensrock

• Members

Picked one up this weekend for the purpose of installing the Monte Allums mod. I dont know if I'll even mod it though. I've got to put it through its paces at jam volume though. This is a very impressive Boss pedal. Nice overdrive sound with a tone control that sounds pretty damn good throughout its entire spectrum. Anyone looking for a good solid overdrive should seriously check these out.

• Members

One of my favorite Overdrives, I modded mine to clean it up a little and it has earned a place on my board!

The first mod is to remove D6 and D7. You can put them on a switch to toggle this on and off but I think a quick listen will convince you that those can go. These two diodes give a very slight increase in distortion but when removed give you a much livelier and open sound.

• Members

I don't know if this will help or not, but I got a Boss OD-3 on ebay and I loved it. I tried to compare it to my Keeley BD-2 and I think the OD-3 won the contest. I then put the Monte Allums mod in it and the two pedals sounded almost identical. I sold the OD-3 on ebay and just bought another one to keep stock. But that's just my opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by mrbluetone

One of my favorite Overdrives, I modded mine to clean it up a little and it has earned a place on my board!

The first mod is to remove D6 and D7. You can put them on a switch to toggle this on and off but I think a quick listen will convince you that those can go. These two diodes give a very slight increase in distortion but when removed give you a much livelier and open sound.

So you just clip them out all together? How do you go about removing them? I think tihs is a mod I want to do.

More info please :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by arexjay

So you just clip them out all together? How do you go about removing them? I think tihs is a mod I want to do.

More info please
:wave:

That's right... just clip them out with a pair of wire cutters..very simple!

• Members

The stock BD-2 sounds nothing like the Keeley BD-2. The Keeley is a world class pedal, the stock version is just ok. I have tried many distortion pedals and it's my favorite so far. The OD-3 is a bit smoother than the Keeley BD-2, but they are both very nice pedals. It was very hard for me when I had to decide which one to keep.

Also, you don't just clip the diodes out. If you do, you will have a non-functioning pedal. You have to replace them with a piece of wire.

If you go to Monte's site and listen to the OD-3 sound clips you will be blown away, but I found that if you can't play as well as Monte, you will not soud as good as him no matter what pedal you use. He is really, really good!

• Members

Originally posted by jb1911

Also, you don't just clip the diodes out. If you do, you will have a non-functioning pedal. You have to replace them with a piece of wire.

Negative..it works just fine....and since it was Mr. Keeley who thought it up and suggested it to me, I went ahead and did the mod and the OD-3 works perfectly!

• Members

Originally posted by mrbluetone

Negative..it works just fine....and since it was Mr. Keeley who thought it up and suggested it to me, I went ahead and did the mod and the OD-3 works perfectly!

+1

This mod does not require any soldering. 4 snips and you are done.

• Members

RK told you to just clip them out? I sent him an email and he said that he is planning to have an OD-3 mod on his site by this summer. If he told you to clip them out, that's good enough for me, but I'm gonna desolder them in case they need to go back in. I did the Monte Allum mod on my last OD-3 and I had to replace them with a piece of wire. But if you guys just clipped them with no problem, that's cool. How did it affect the sound? Does it remove the harshness? I have done extensive comparison tests and I like the stock pedal way more than after the MA mod. I sold my modded pedal and got a stock one now and I'm thinking of removing those two diodes.

• Members

Originally posted by jb1911

RK told you to just clip them out? I sent him an email and he said that he is planning to have an OD-3 mod on his site by this summer. If he told you to clip them out, that's good enough for me, but I'm gonna desolder them in case they need to go back in. I did the Monte Allum mod on my last OD-3 and I had to replace them with a piece of wire. But if you guys just clipped them with no problem, that's cool. How did it affect the sound? Does it remove the harshness? I have done extensive comparison tests and I like the stock pedal way more than after the MA mod. I sold my modded pedal and got a stock one now and I'm thinking of removing those two diodes.

Yep that's it..simply..just clip em out and you can desoder if you want to put em back in as well. It opens the pedal to a cleaner, smoother drive... Keeley has a ton more in store for that unit down the road and has some mods for increased drive as well ect...

I heard Boss is going to stop making that model.....weird!

• Members

I took out D6 and D7 when I got home from work today and you guys are right, it sounds quite a bit more open and smooth. It sounds more open than my Keeley BD-2 now. The Monte Allum mod didn't even address these two diodes. If this is just the beginning for what Keeley is gonna do, I'm gonna get one as soon as they are available. The Fuzz Head that I mentioned in an earlier post is just awesome! I can't make it sound bad. It sounds more like power tubes breaking up than most power tubes breaking up.

Archived