Looking for a delay pedal...

• Members

...with a few specifics, and I'm not sure if such a thing even exists. Does anyone know of a delay out there which offers ALL of these features:

- Tap tempo (either via an external pedal, or an onboard foot-tappable switch)

- The ability to have delayed sound continue to play after pedal is switched off (even better if you can turn this ability on or off as desired)

- 1 second of delay (or more...?)

Many thanks!

Jeff

• Members

Originally posted by TheBoringOne

...with a few specifics, and I'm not sure if such a thing even exists. Does anyone know of a delay out there which offers ALL of these features:

- The ability to have delayed sound continue to play after pedal is switched off (even better if you can turn this ability on or off as desired)

Many thanks!

Jeff

Boss DD5/6

Digitech Digidelay

Line 6 DL4/Echo Park

Boss DD20

• Members

Originally posted by SpectralJulian

There are delays that continue after you turn them off? What delays do that? That would be a really cool effect

its called a "trail" so the delays don't abruptly cut off instead they natural fade out. and lots of delays can do this.

• Members

The DD20 looks very promising, lots of options there... I'll have to hear one for sure.

The Echo Park pedal would be promising as well, but I've consistently seen 2 complaints in reviews I've found: flimsy knobs (despite the chassis itself being a tank), and a noticeable gain boost when it's turned on. Can anyone confirm or deny these gripes?

• Members

The Zoom 508 Delay will do all that and cheaper than most of the alternatives (if you can find it and aren't caught in a crazy ebay auction). Downside is it is plastic.

Actually, I'm not 100% it will do a trail went you go from delay to bypass, but it does do trails when you switch between patches, so it would be possible to set up a dry patch and switch between that and the delay path to get a trail.

• Members

the marshall echohead has trail offs and is true bypass.

after getting a 2nd hand DD-5 i'm thinking it may have been a better option for my specific needs.

only downside is the effect leve, when maxed, is only equal to the original signal. meaning no 100% wet delay sound only. but for what i need i don't think that really matters.

it also has external tap tempo (which i understand can be tapped while it is bypassed liek the DD-5).

but the reson it would probably be better for my needs is that it has better modes. multi tap being one, plus the modulated, tape and analog modes put it past the dd-5. its nice and small too, with no issues on construction from what i could make out.

the sweep (phaser type modulation) mode has fixed rate and depth of sweep which i found a little undesirable - too fast and too deep.. probably so its instantly noticable against the other modes. for this and the other modes i wish Marshall had concentric pots or the time and feedback knobs to address the rate and depth of the modulation and degree of high and low cut on the analog/tape echo modes. but for the price it's an excellent sounding delay.

i may buy one off ebay and A/B the two pedals.

• Members

Well it is not quite finished yet, but our upcoming Echotone do all that, with switchable trails too.
And a loop in the feedback for modulation effects.
100_0326.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by gambit

the marshall echohead has trail offs and is true bypass.

after getting a 2nd hand DD-5 i'm thinking it may have been a better option for my specific needs.

only downside is the effect leve, when maxed, is only equal to the original signal. meaning no 100% wet delay sound only. but for what i need i don't think that really matters.

it also has external tap tempo (which i understand can be tapped while it is bypassed liek the DD-5).

but the reson it would probably be better for my needs is that it has better modes. multi tap being one, plus the modulated, tape and analog modes put it past the dd-5. its nice and small too, with no issues on construction from what i could make out.

the sweep (phaser type modulation) mode has fixed rate and depth of sweep which i found a little undesirable - too fast and too deep.. probably so its instantly noticable against the other modes. for this and the other modes i wish Marshall had concentric pots or the time and feedback knobs to address the rate and depth of the modulation and degree of high and low cut on the analog/tape echo modes. but for the price it's an excellent sounding delay.

i may buy one off ebay and A/B the two pedals.

I've been waiting to try one of those, but i'm pretty sure it's not true bypass on those models - it's mechanical (read: buffered) bypass.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

I've been waiting to try one of those, but i'm pretty sure it's not true bypass on those models - it's mechanical (read: buffered) bypass.

i was under the impression that the two outputs are set for either trails on or trails off. the second being true bypass as the signal is sent straight to the output.. but i guess that could be just an option on the buffered bypass

• Members

Originally posted by gambit

i was under the impression that the two outputs are set for either trails on or trails off. the second being true bypass as the signal is sent straight to the output.. but i guess that could be just an option on the buffered bypass

so it's not a traditional wet/dry stereo output setup?

that's interesting - choose your signal switch by output. i like that.

Archived