advice on A/B & A/B/Y boxes please !!!!

• Members

dudes-

i need some advice on which boxes i should check into.

easy:

i need to be able to plug my cheap yamaha toy-keyboard & my guitar into my pedalboard at one time

(so basically i need an A/B)

and then i need a box that allows the signal from my pedalboard to go to 2 different amps at the same time...

(so basically an A/B/Y, right?)

what are some affordable and more importantly, RELIABLE units ?

p.s.-

the smaller they are, the better.

• Members

I use an A/B switcher to choose between two amps. I use A to go to a TTE stereo output where the signal is split to a MAZ 18 watt Jr. and an Atom Amp 15 watt Metroliner. The B side goes direct to a Fender Black Faced RI Twin. I am still trying to rein in this beast, but so far so great. ;)

More info to follow.

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

well i'll basically have my Sovtek & 4x12"

and an Ampeg VT-22 combo pushing a 2x12" or 4x12".

i want them both to be on at the same time.

no switching.

BOTH must inherit the signal path, BOTH must push it.

Are you running any stereo pedals? Something like a DD3 might really do the trick. Just set the delay time to minimum...

• Members
Originally posted by veil

My loooper is great and affordable. If I have a ground loop, I use a 3->2 prong adaptor on one of my amps. Problem solved.

...until that amp develops a problem that sends mains voltage (or worse, about 500vDC, if it's a tube amp) into its chassis. In order for that voltage to reach ground, it will have to travel up the guitar cable to the A/B box, and if you're lucky, it will mostly take the path down the other guitar cable to the other amp. If not, it will pass all the way through your pedalboard into your guitar, to the strings (which are grounded) and through you to ground... Either way, you will not like the sensation. :eek::D

For pairing amps, a transformer isolated A/B/Y or splitter box is really the only way to go, IMHO. Andi at www.monkeyfx.co.uk makes one of the best and most affordable you will ever find, and if you only want a splitter or iso box (to isolate one of the amps from the other), he'll do that for you too for even less. For the guitar/keyboard selector, all you need is a simple passive A/B box of some sort.

/Andreas

• Members

I have this big-ass Morley A/B Box that I've been using since before the internet was invented, still works great. It takes a 9V battery for the LED's, and the battery seems to last for about ten years.

I recomend Morley.

• Members
Originally posted by andreas

...until that amp develops a problem that sends mains voltage (or worse, about 500vDC, if it's a tube amp) into its chassis. In order for that voltage to reach ground, it will have to travel up the guitar cable to the A/B box, and if you're lucky, it will mostly take the path down the other guitar cable to the other amp. If not, it will pass all the way through your pedalboard into your guitar, to the strings (which are grounded) and through you to ground... Either way, you will not like the sensation.
:eek::D

For pairing amps, a transformer isolated A/B/Y or splitter box is really the only way to go, IMHO. Andi at
www.monkeyfx.co.uk
makes one of the best and most affordable you will ever find, and if you only want a splitter or iso box (to isolate one of the amps from the other), he'll do that for you too for even less. For the guitar/keyboard selector, all you need is a simple passive A/B box of some sort.

/Andreas

:(

uh oh.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by orourke

I have this big-ass Morley A/B Box that I've been using since before the internet was invented, still works great. It takes a 9V battery for the LED's, and the battery seems to last for about ten years.

I recomend Morley.

I actually bought a new morley box from guitar center today.

They tried to talk me into getting the one that cost twice as much, saying that the morley cut out when switching.

Well, when I started using it, I didn't notice that being a problem, although, literally, after 25 minutes of gentle use, both buttons on the foot switch ceased to function.

I have never owned anything that has broken so fast in my life.

Is this the norm with newer morley stuff or should I exchange it for another model of the same type and give it another shot?

This pedal cost $49 btw.

Archived