OT-Time Range of a show/gig

autopilot

• Members

Depends on a lot of things, venue, how good you are, crowd reaction. I would suggest that when you do get a gig check out the club a couple of weeks before and get a sense of the vibe. I also am of the opinion that it is much better to leave people wanting more than to bore them.

• Members

It also depends on what kind of music you play. Some grindcore band could play 10 songs in 12 minutes and call it a night. But if you're gonna get up there and do some post-rock thing, you might be looking at 4 songs in 40-50 minutes.

• Members

Originally posted by Trick

I also am of the opinion that it is much better to leave people wanting more than to bore them.

couldnt agree more. a few things to factor in is

1. has the crowd seen you before

2. have they heard your songs on a cd or internet yet

No matter how good your songs are its hard for a crowd to sit through 45 minutes of music they are not familiar with.

• Members

also depends on the number of bands playing. seems like there's a trend now of booking 4 bands for one night--far too many imo.
i saw an opening band on a 4-band bill play an hour and i just felt like they were stage hogs. but if you're the main act of 2-3 and there's a good vibe and a solid fanbase, an hour's not too long. also depends on the city. if you're playing locally an hour may be too long because it may be your entire repetoire. people stop going if they've heard everything and there's nothing new. otoh, if you're the "entertainment" of the night for a bar or something they may want you to go on for an hour or more...

• Members
Originally posted by itstartsstoppin

couldnt agree more. a few things to factor in is

1. has the crowd seen you before

2. have they heard your songs on a cd or internet yet

No matter how good your songs are its hard for a crowd to sit through 45 minutes of music they are not familiar with.

Archived