Pod 2.0 settings

• Members

do you have the 2.3 version?

i forget how to tell but it tells you in the manual, you hold something while turning it on and it will flash the model

anyway - best advice i can say is start fresh with an amp model and dont use the presets. just flip the dial to your sound and then turn off effects and start tweaking. there are some good sounds in there and i like a few of the patches better than the newer XT versions (not the high gains but some lower gains and clean stuff)

also - if you can pick up a MIDI connection to hook it to your PC you can really tweak deep inside, even changing the type of rever and alot of other aspects you cant get to on the face of the Pod.

m-audiobuddy is a good one, it has 2 MIDI connections that go on the Pod, and the other end plugs into the USB port. there is a blue "bubble" with flashing lights (the interface) in the middle of the cables. its like $40 though, a little high but well worth it!

after getting mine i downloaded some program from line 6 that is much better than the one that comes with the Pod - i forget the name but its all good. then if you want to check out others tones you go to thier site and download patches - ive literally got 100s of them saved and you upload them through the interface to the Pod. you can search say for a certain song or bands tone and just pop it into the Pod.....pretty cool

but honestly even though i got all those patches saved i never use em cause you really gotta tweak your patches to match your other gear. i run mine through an old stereo tube amplifier into a 4x10 cab so presets made for direct recording dont helkp me any, but using a PA would probably get you in the ballpark of those tones you seek

ive found some really good ones though by simply tweaking. also ive recorded quite a few clips and had folks asking me what amps i was using/etc and alot of it was just Pod. it just takes a little while to get used to it. i do know that for recording anything with hi-gain or crunch - try using a smaller cab than the 4x12 sims - they have overwhelming bass response thats not like the real thing at all - too much in the wrong frequencies for real cab sims.

that usually helps me dial in a better tone - gain down lower than you think you need, turn the cab sim to a smaller cab and just listen close. afterwards start adding verb and stuff.

i like using the recto 1 model into the tweed 1x12 cab with lowish gain where its crunchy but not distorted. tweaking like that and getting away from the factory presets sounds much more real to me and alot of others.

good luck

• Members

The best sound I was able to achieve with the POD 2.0 was by selecting one of the 4x12 cabinet models... I can't remember right off hand which it was.. but one of those 4 x 12 cabinet models sounds to me waaaayyyyy better than ALL the other cabinet models on the unit.

It doesnt' matter what amp model I use... I like this cabinet model the best.

Then.. I also run mine through a 31 band eq. A 7 band eq would probably do just fine as well.

With this eq I CUT the 1.2K and/or 1.6K frequency completely. These frequencies sound horrible to me... and it sounds much better when I cut them.

I also run my POD direct into the P.A. at my gigs. Using the methods I have described here I get a sound I am very happy with.

Try this sometime and let me know if you liked it.

• Members

Originally posted by dcooper830

The best sound I was able to achieve with the POD 2.0 was by selecting one of the 4x12 cabinet models... I can't remember right off hand which it was.. but one of those 4 x 12 cabinet models sounds to me waaaayyyyy better than ALL the other cabinet models on the unit.

It doesnt' matter what amp model I use... I like this cabinet model the best.

Then.. I also run mine through a 31 band eq. A 7 band eq would probably do just fine as well.

With this eq I CUT the 1.2K and/or 1.6K frequency completely. These frequencies sound horrible to me... and it sounds much better when I cut them.

I also run my POD direct into the P.A. at my gigs. Using the methods I have described here I get a sound I am very happy with.

Try this sometime and let me know if you liked it.

yeah i was thinking it may work better through a PA - but when using it through tube amps to me it always sounded better dialing in a smaller cab sim because of that over-exagerated bass. wether a marshall 1/2 stack, a twin or even smaller combos it just sounded alot better and more realistic to me -

but again thats not into a PA and i was going for clean-light crunch tones. even when recording if i selected a 4x12 i had to dial the bass almost off then add EQ to boost the frequencies in a more subtle way. and alot of those amp models just open up through different cabs - not necessarily any in particular but i noticed when trying to dial in a patch the easiest way to add some life (other than tubes) was to start sweeping through all the cabs and seeing what matched up

Archived