Metal Muff Review!!!!!!!!!!!

rockstrongo

• Members

Cool playing man! But I have several dissatisfactions with the pedal's sound (maybe someone can add to/comment):

1) No picking detail on either the lead or rhythm sound, like a budget-digital-modeler.
2) No dynamics [same as above], did you squash it with compression or is that just its sound?
3) Smooth, complex treble-tone, but no mid or bass tone.

Not trying to be down on Electro-Harmonix or anything; the pedal just didn't do anything for me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by ck3

:wave:

... please don't ask how/why I ended this in E major ...
:o

Maybe it's just your playing, but it sounds better than a lot of the popular high-gain rack gear I've heard. :confused:

Is this a one-trick-pony or is it flexible?

It also sounds like it has that "buzz" without being TOO buzzy. I guess we have something that at least beats the Rocktron Zombie?

Can't wait to get mine and try it out. I'm hoping it's the high-gain pedal "solution". Even if just for me. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by gethsemane

you must not have heard much.

I have, but for the most part I'm sure it was poorly EQ'd, since I wasn't the one playing. Goto a club, and most rich kids playing through rack gear don't know what they're doing I'm sure. I'll admit, I don't sit around in shops trying out gear myself.

I also listen to a lot of bands that purposely go after that buzzy sound, so there's no real such thing as "tone" going on there either. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by tocs100

Cool playing man! But I have several dissatisfactions with the pedal's sound (maybe someone can add to/comment):

1) No picking detail on either the lead or rhythm sound, like a budget-digital-modeler.

2) No dynamics [same as above], did you squash it with compression or is that just its sound?

Thanks for the complement re: my noodling. The program that I used to convert the original WAV file into an MP3 compresses the bejeesus out of sound files (even at 192 kbps) and also removes lows and mids. The manufacturer should be indicted for murdering tone, eh? :mad:

Oh, yeah ... I was playing the pedal through a digital modeler, too. :o

Originally posted by tnttnttnt

Cool! What did you use to record it?

Metal Muff in the loop of a Boss GT-8 in dual/stereo preamp mode>Behringer UB802 mixer with an Electrokraft Tone Box and Boss EH-2 Enhancer in its fx loop>Echo Mia Soundcard

I recorded the original WAV file with Cool Edit 1.x, had to save it again with Audacity for it to be recognized by Musicmatch Jukebox, and then used Musicsnatch Pukebox to ruin ... err ... I mean convert the WAV file. :freak:

Originally posted by Klisk

Maybe it's just your playing, but it sounds better than a lot of the popular high-gain rack gear I've heard.
:confused:

Is this a one-trick-pony or is it flexible?

You must have really good speakers for your PC. :eek:

I've only used the Metal Muff with my favorite GT-8 preset, which goes out of phase like a mofo if there is too much treble or gain and become thunderous with any extra bass ... so I haven't been able to really put this pedal through the paces yet. I'll have to program a custom GT-8 preset to optimize its flexibility ... try doing that with a REAL amplifier. ;)

Originally posted by gethsemane

nice playing but the tone does nothing for me. sounds like a {censored}in' carvin.

Thanks for the complement.

So ... Boss + E~H = Carvin :eek::confused::freak:

Originally posted by MxOvd

This pedal seems absolutely brutal and totally metal. I wonder if it can be useful for other sounds, but I doubt it. Oh, very nice playing by the way.

Now that I think about it, there were some okay OD tones, but, like I said earlier, the GT-8 preset that I used is unforgiving to most pedals, so there are probably far more possibilities yet to be discovered once my amp modeler has been tweaked.

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

You must have really good speakers for your PC.
:eek:

;)

I also have a (bad?) habit of automatically 'imagining' what a pedal would sound like through an amp when I listen to clips. :freak: Strangely enough, my imagination has done a (decent) job over the years. :eek:

Archived