Metal Muff Review!!!!!!!!!!!

rockstrongo

• Members

Well, I got my Metal Muff today.

EH is shipping them in a black box, instead of the standard white one. When you lift the lid, it says "Your Alloyed Muff" on the inside lid. :D They have metal knobs, and the EQ knobs have a notch in the center of the pot so its easy to find the neutral settings again. You have to unscrew the back to get to the battery, which sucks....but whatever, I use a power supply anyway.

Inside the case, the components in no way resemble a Big Muff. I can't tell if the circuit does, but the components themselves look like a computer circuit board (very much like the Behringer Vintage Distortion circuit board, but much bigger and populated). It'll be hard to mod this one.

As far as sound goes, WHEW! I used it at practice through my '73 Marshall Superbass into a Bogner 4x12, with my '78 Les Paul Custom with Tom Anderson pickups. I have NO idea why the Big Muff is associated with this pedal. Its not even remotely close to the sound of a Muff, IMO, but more on that later. The pedal has a {censored} ton of gain, which there isn't much difference between 1 o'clock and 5 o'clock, really. The EQ knobs are very sensitive, and the mid control is awesome. The more mids you add, the louder the pedal gets. Oh, and the pedal can get VERY loud.

It sounds really, really good for concentrated metal. It doesn't really sound huge, but ripping. The standard Big Muff sound is wide and huge, kinda like a suffocating sound. This is more like a slit your bowels open sound, in comparison. It gets some really nice low gain tones too, some VERY surprising good ones, a'la Schenker. Full bore, it goes into Machinehead territory. Its actually somewhat touch sensitive, depending on how hot your pickups are and how your amp reacts. All in all, it sounds very refined and smooth.

Keep in mind that its very easy to get a {censored}ty sound out of this pedal if you're not careful. Actually, I didn't move the knobs much from the neutral positions. The EQ reminds me a lot of my Dual Rectifier, in terms of the way it reacts. It doesn't take much to get it to sound good, so don't crank everything to 10! I set it up to sound as good as I could get it and let the volume knob on my amp do most of the work.

The Top Boost is useful, but only in lower settings. There's a sweet spot before the 9 o'clock position that makes it great for a lead boost. Beyond that, it sounds harsh.

If anybody has any questions, let me know! I'm going to try and post some pics of the guts and some sound clips through my Tone Port soon.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by percyexpat

ooh about time too!
:)
cant wait for those clips. did you get any candy with it??

Naw, Musictoyz doesn't have candy, I guess.....:D As far as "candy in the box", it came with an instruction sheet, registration card and a booklet with all of their products.

• Members

Pic of it with my Les Paul:

IM000799.jpg

I'm trying to record some clips of it right now, but my roommate is asleep and I'm just now discovering that the Tone Port doesn't take pedals too well with the clean amp models......it sounds like {censored}.

I'll see if I can record some with the Marshall if I can't get these to sound good. Honestly, this pedal's really cool.

• Members

I tried one the other day and i really like it too. I agree with everything rockstrongo said.

The top boost had one sweet spot that i found. Everything else was either ear peircing or sounded muffled. I am gonna get one if my pedals do good on ebay.

I didnt post a review because i only played with it for about 15 minutes, but those 15 minutes were awsome. It might wind up replacing my zoom driver.

• Members

Originally posted by rockstrongo

Pic of it with my Les Paul:

I'm trying to record some clips of it right now, but my roommate is asleep and I'm just now discovering that the Tone Port doesn't take pedals too well with the clean amp models......it sounds like {censored}.

I'll see if I can record some with the Marshall if I can't get these to sound good. Honestly, this pedal's really cool.

cant you just record direct and turn the amp models off entirely?

• Members

Thanks for the in-depth review. Mine will be in my mailbox at lunchtime today, and I'll be integrating it onto my board & testing it tonight. Trial by fire with tomorrow night's gig, which is a place where they like heavier stuff anyways. Should be fun!

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

Rats ... I though that mine would arrive first.
:o

Thanks for posting a mini review and pics, nonetheless.
:thu:

How's the noise floor?

Its got a fair bit of noise. Its nothing staggering, but pretty normal for a distortion pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by percyexpat

cant you just record direct and turn the amp models off entirely?

Yeah, I tried that and it sounded even worse. It sounded like a freaked out John Lennon solo tone.

I'd like to capture the smoothness of it, but all of the clips that I recorded with the Tone Port sound muffled.

• Members
Originally posted by Klisk

So are you saying it does mesa tones, or what?
:D

Mine is in the mail right now. Can't wait to get it.

Its very Mesa like. I would recommend running it through the biggest sounding amp that you have. From the sound and feel of it, I have a feeling that it might sound too shrill with, say, a Fender Twin or something like that. My Superbass handled it very well.

• Members
Originally posted by tnttnttnt

Thanks for the review rockstrongo!

Does it sound tube-like or digital? Is it better than let's say your average Metal Zone pedal?

I like it waaaaaayyyyy better than the Metal Zone. The overall tone is much smoother and balanced. It doesn't really sound digital, but "immediate" if you know what I mean. The feel is very much akin to the Behringer Vintage Distortion. There's some "squish" in there, but for the most part its very tight. Its a great balance! :)

• Members
Originally posted by FLYING V 83

Thanks for the in-depth review. Mine will be in my mailbox at lunchtime today, and I'll be integrating it onto my board & testing it tonight. Trial by fire with tomorrow night's gig, which is a place where they like heavier stuff anyways. Should be fun!

Awesome, let us know how it went!

Well, I'm off to work now. I'll try to compile some better clips when I get home tonight. :wave:

Archived