True bypass looper or SHO? Help me decide....

cjb

• Members

My pedalboard is as follows.... Sparkle Drive (True Bypass)-Boss CE2 (not TB)-MXR EVH Phase 90 (not TB)-Boss TU2 (not TB) and an Ibanez AD99 (not TB).

I was thinking of getting a keeley true bypass looper for the CE2, MXR, and TU2. I only use the Phase sparingly so I'd just keep the CE2 on and use the looper to switch it in or out of the chain.

Or should I just get an SHO, place it at the beginning of my chain and keep it at a small boost?

Any suggestions are welcome.....Chris

• Members

I wouldn't get so hung up on TB, unless of course one of your pedals really sucks tone. Is there even a problem with your tone at the moment?

It sounds like you've been researching this forum a bit too much, if the only two solutions you can think of are both boutique style pedals. They're both very good pedals in their own right but I wouldn't say 100% that you needed either of them.

• Members

i have a phase 90 thats not true bypass. every here says it sucks tone realy bad. i personally have not had a problem with it. if you like the way you sound keep it that way. its only when you notice a drastic change in yout tone that you need to add something else.

• Members

I should add that if you got a true bypass looper you could use it to A/B effects in and out of your chain to see how they affect the signal. Then you can decide if you need a looper, but by then it would be too late because you would have already bought one. It is a lot easier than unplugging cables and trying to remember what you just sounded like.

Archived