Pedals you regret purchasing thread

Stratotone

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

they had the coolest {censored} in the 70s. the optical thing is really innovative imo. and the wahs had such range--everything from vocal to screechy harmonic feedback.
:cool:
then there were the phaser and flangers that had treadles so you could rock em like a wah or switch to auto mode and adjust speed with the treadle. niceness! can't speak for the flanger but hte phaser is really rich and MXR-like.

not to mention the oil can delay.
:freak:

but now? um...well...their volume pedals mae your volume go up and down pretty good.

:o

Actually, I have no complaints re: the Horsie's sound. Excellent sweep, & the no-click engage worked real well... while it worked.

• Members
Originally posted by HeHateMe

Actually, I have no complaints re: the Horsie's sound. Excellent sweep, & the no-click engage worked real well... while it worked.

so your only complaint is that it doesn't work.
;)

i've not actually tried the Horsie. switchless activations is a good idea though.

• Members

Lets see:

Boss Metal Zone. Sounded ok in the bedroom with a GE-7 behind it, but live it was aweful. Thankful I recorded one of my shows 5 years ago so I knew that I needed to get rid of that one.

DLS Chorus-Vib. Really epensive for what it did. It just had a fake synthetic quality to it that I couldn't dial out. Hopefully the BYOC Chorus will work for me, I think I am done with Digital Choruses after the DLS.

• Members

Hmm...

Dunlop Crybaby...just crap
Morley Classic Wah...worst wah ever, at least it's metal :-/
some Boss volume pedal....model escapes me
DOD Grunge, old version...just no
DOD Octoplus...fun for 2 minutes
DOD Death Metal...it was free, but still...
Rocktron Vertigo...fake and sterile even compared to the Dano CS
Boss PS5...signal bleed, otherwise kinda cool - in retrospect, it might've been an easy fix :o
Boss SD1...same issue as PS5, not very versatile IMO
Fulltone '69...couldn't make the damn thing sing like my *gasp* early Dunlop FF RI, regardless of amp or guitar.

Luckily, I'm about 95% positive that I made some sort of profit from all of these pedals. :thu: And now with forums like this'n, I can research before committing to another pedal. :thu:

• Members

DOD Gonkulator - The ring mod effect itself sounds decent, but the signal bleed is so bad, it's only usable when it's in the loop of my NS-2. i still use it, though, until i can afford a Moog.

Arion pedal tuner (forget the model #) - Seems to be decent, but i didn't realize that it apparently only works if you're in standard tuning(?). i tune down to C, so it doesn't help me much. Works great as a kill switch for my noise rig, though. the bypass is much better than on my bandmate's TU-2.

• Moderators
Pedals you regret purchasing

The Ibanez LA Metal... I bought it because I saw AnalogMike write about it on this forum but it turned out to be less than I had hoped for.... even at $25 that I paid for it I felt ripped off! :)

-Jack

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Does Morely make anything that doesn't deserved to be buried?

My bad horsie is just fine.

...build quality????

What do you want them to do? Goldplate it for you? Do you weigh 300+ lbs.?

It's a metal box with a pedal and few other moving parts.

:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by mangojeep66

My bad horsie is just fine.

...build quality????

What do you want them to do? Goldplate it for you? Do you weigh 300+ lbs.?

It's a metal box with a pedal and few other moving parts.

:confused:

I think the people who don't like the Bad Horsie don't use heavy distortion. Now, he delay I didn't like was really lame and the so called chorus it had was a joke.

I had a distortion made by them years ago that I regret selling, it was built like a tank and sounded pretty good too.

This should be the sequel to this thread - PEDALS YOU REGRET SELLING.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

most of the times the pedals aren't even that bad, it's just that even when i buy them i realize that i probably should wait to get the nicer equivelant.

boss tu-2 = tone suck, kinda bad tracking.
in the end i found that i had like a boss tu12 or something like that and i think i'll just use that in the tuner output of my volume pedal.

boss ds-1. POS. enjoyed having it for a bit though.

crybaby wah : noticed the tone sucking even when i first started playing. just sounds weak.

boss cs3: i honestly don't think this is near as bad as everyone says. just a bit noisy in more extreme settings, but so is everything. modding it very very soon, and if it still sucks i suppose i could get something else.

ts9: just a boxy/fake sound. would like to mod that one in the next week or two as well

rat: to be fair it's not bad at all, but i'm not sure it's what i was looking for. i still use it a ton/like it though.

small stone: huge pop/volume drop

boss rv3: i want a verbzilla now... ;)

digitech jamman: it was a birthday present but i have close to no use for it besides practicing. a lot of dough i could've put towards other things that are a bit more important tonally

i love my dl4s though and refuse to talk smack about them.

but yeah, most of those pedals aren't bad and i'm not really that disappointed with a lot of them, i just either don't think it was what i was looking for, or i should've waited to get a bit nicer.

edit: point in case.... the ge7 i picked up at the GC sale today. did i really need that or should've i saved for other more basic things? i know i'm going to sniper mod it within a few days of having it too. grr

• Members

I used to regret buying the Boss GE-7, but when I put it in the effects loop instead of through the front of the amp it did amazing things for my sound! It made my amps normal tone so much more brutal and heavy!

Boss Metal Zone...

however Ive recently found a new use for this one, it does the old school black metal thing spot on! mainly cos old school black metal was recorded with cheap nasty hollow sounding fuzzy crap like this! lol so... other than for old school lo-fi black metal recordings, its a piece of {censored} not to be taken seriously! (rename it from "Metal Zone" to the "BM-1 black metal" pedal and it would get alot more respect :D

Boss Digital Reverb -

sounds ok if you have an ultra clean sound and turn your guitar volume right down, otherwise it sounds very harsh, i guess hence the "digital". And you can only really put it through the front of the amp as in the effects loop it sounds weak and the different types of reverb then sound the same, and if you have it through the front you cant use the amps distortion with the reverb or it sounds horrible!

on the other hand even {censored}ty effects pedals can serve a particular function you never thought of later on! even if you never use them, one day it may be that secret weapon.

Archived