Pedals you regret purchasing thread

Stratotone

• Members

Not in a 'wow, this sounds great but I'm not using it way' - but more of a 'what a craptacular POS this is!'.

I'll start. Boss DS1 Distortion. Even modded, I hate the thing. The only reason I'd keep one on my pedalboard is to force someone who wants to 'play a song with the band' at a gig to use so they sound like crap. :)

Obvious disclaimers apply about how we all hear things differently, but I'd like to hear about some pedal dissapointments. It's more entertaining than the "wow, the xxxxxx rocks!"

Pete

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't regret purchasing any pedals. I usually buy a pedal because I've been gassing for it for a long time, and when I finally get it, the GAS dissipates.

Sometimes I don't like a pedal, in which case I sell it. But it's always good to have tried it...then I don't continue to lust after a bad pedal.

:thu:

• Members

I have a lot of pedals I don't use regularly, but the only pedal I regret buying is a Holowon Tremolo Panner. It may be a great pedal, but I have no idea. I haven't gotten it yet. It's been 5 months. He ran into some problems building it, and supposedly it is almost ready. But in the meantime, I just got a PN-2, so I don't really need it anymore.

• Members

In terms of sound quality, the only pedal I regret buying is the Boss XT-2. I read some less than favourable reviews but I thought it might have been misunderstood. It was an utter POS. Terrible distortion, crappy EQ knobs that started at piercing treble and only went higher. Ultimately I don't regret buying it as I made double my money on resale.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

Ibanez DE7 - had 2 break on me.

NVN DinoFuzz - near useless pedal for me. it may have been defective.

Zoom 505 multiFX pedal. plastic, tinny, junk.

have you messed with the trim pots on that dino fuzz? my friend has one and it sound great.

• Members

Originally posted by amanonfire

have you messed with the trim pots on that dino fuzz? my friend has one and it sound great.

no - i just remember shelling out a lot for it and being extremely displeased with what it actually sounded like.

this was back when i was an effects n00b though, and would never have messed with switches and pots inside an FX box.

come to think of it - i really don't like many distortions at all. i've probably owned only about 10 my entire life, and only 3 have really impressed me.

• Members
Originally posted by MrSage

I don't regret purchasing any pedals. I usually buy a pedal because I've been gassing for it for a long time, and when I finally get it, the GAS dissipates.

Sometimes I don't like a pedal, in which case I sell it. But it's always good to have tried it...then I don't continue to lust after a bad pedal.

:thu:

+1.

with that said, there've been a few i've picked up that made me wonder, "why is everybody ga-ga over this thing?" -- including the venerable ce-1, ce-2, ross comp, and the tu-2. all of them did the job, but just struck me as merely adequate at best, nothing special at most. diff strokes i guess, which keeps the spam-threads interesting :)

• Members

Originally posted by phyrexia

I paid $350 for something off Axeandyoushallrecieve.com and you can still buy them new for $245, so I regret that purchase, even if I like the pedal a lot.

Too bad he ripped me off, though.

That's an interesting take on it...

If you paid his asking price and you enjoy the item, then he's not really ripping you off.

There's a whole internet out there for price comparisons, so you did have the option of looking up prices and buying elsewhere...it's not really fair to accuse a guy of ripping you off when the truth is that his asking price for a particular item just happened to be higher than some other place.

You may regret having paid more than you could have, but Scott's a good guy...he's not out to rip anybody off.

• Members

If you paid his asking price and you enjoy the item, then he's not really ripping you off.

There's a whole internet out there for price comparisons, so you did have the option of looking up prices and buying elsewhere...it's not really fair to accuse a guy of ripping you off when the truth is that his asking price for a particular item just happened to be higher than some other place.

You may regret having paid more than you could have, but Scott's a good guy...he's not out to rip anybody off.

Yeah. That's true. And for a discontinued item, I was happy to buy it. I guess I am a little groggy and pissed off this morning.

Edit. Yes. Definitely in a {censored}ty mood. Not trying to libel anybody. I actually just got an email from Scott.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

In terms of sound quality, the only pedal I regret buying is the Boss XT-2. I read some less than favourable reviews but I thought it might have been misunderstood. It was an utter POS. Terrible distortion, crappy EQ knobs that started at piercing treble and only went higher. Ultimately I don't regret buying it as I made double my money on resale.

We can only hope it goes up in value. I actually bought one just in case it does go up in value. I still think it is one of the best LOOKING pedal BOSS has made.

• Members

Thanks.

Certainly, I am not interested in ripping any one off. I came across a small stash of these pedals that I had accidently misplaced in my hellhole of a basement. Fact was that the original margin on them was kind of slight and I got nailed for a fair bit of Duty when I originally brought them in. Hence, I raised the price to what was a reasonable margin given that they were discontinued and the re-sale on them was quite high on the used market. I had 6 of them. The other buyers were quite surprised that I had them available and didn't seem to have a problem with the price. Hell, One guy bought two of them.

• Members
Originally posted by phyrexia

Yeah. That's true. And for a discontinued item, I was happy to buy it. I guess I am a little groggy and pissed off this morning.

Is it general practice to up the price 33% if it's one of two you have left in stock?

Being up in Canada, quite a few of my prices are adjusted upwards to account for duty and shipping etc. I try to match most internet based pricing where ever possible, but none of the manufacturers set an upper limit on price only a lower MAP in some cases.

In this case, the price was more adjusted because the market could and did bear it. I guess I am still kinda interested in where you found one of these pedals still in stock at a lower price. It was my understanding that no other dealers had any stock.

All this being said, if there is anything you might want off my site in the future, I will certainly try to make it worth your while.

I can easily sympathize as I am a little groggy and pissed off every morning :)

• Members

Boss DD-6

I'd loved my DD-3, versatile, easy to use etc.. so I thought i'd upgrade, but the dd6 was the nastiest peice of crap ive ever put my guitar near, sounded so fake and was so over complex,
but i sold it at a profit and bought a DD-2 so it ended up well :cool:

• Members

To get back on topic, I really regretted buying a used Roland VG-8. It was ages ago, but I was disappointed because no matter how you set the pickup up, palm muted sounds were problematic. It was too expensive to just keep for the synth sounds.

Given that 75% of what I seem to play is palm muted, it kinda sucked. Of course the fact that 75% of what i play is palm muted may be an indication that I suck. :)

• Members

-Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator. Not only did I buy it, I actually used is after I decided it was the worst thing ever.

-E13 Infinity. Not a bad pedal per say, just really not useful at all for me. And apparently not for anyone else either because Devi stopped making them and they have terrible resale value.

-Catalinbread SCOD. Just not my sound. I like it, i just...don't like it. I've tried so many times to implement it and every time i AB it with my RAT2, Teaser Stallion, and Amp distortion (boosted with SCP). I stand there with a twisted confused face and try hard to find what I might do with it, and each time I conclude that I just don't have a use for it. The Rat and TS always reign supreme for me, but I fear that I will end up giving the SCOD "one more chance" every 2 months or so until the end of my life, checking to make sure I didn't miss anything.

-Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I bought this about a month ago while my main guitar was being worked on. It was just to kick around. Decent guitar, but I realized after I got my main guitar back from the shop that I would probably never pick up the Epi again. I love my Schecter Sunset 7 and can use it for anything. The Epi was a total impulse buy and I'll probably lose at least $100 on resale.

And I need to save up for that HOG ;)

• Members

POD, Ringtone (lost a bit on that one, barely used it, too), FullDrive2, TS9 (as it turns out, I hate tube screamers), the list goes on...

A lot of pedals I don't regret because I was able either resell or trade them for something I liked better. Sometimes it's good to just actually get try out weird things, even if I don't dig them.

For example, I don't regret getting an oohwah, even though I didn't use it, because it was cool and I traded it for a Microsynth.

I regret a lot of guitars (buying AND selling), but that's not the question....

I regretted an amp for a while, a GK SS head that cost the same as a Marshall would have at the time, I just didn't know any better. But that was 15 years ago or so, so it's hard to care one way or the other now.

Archived