Wah Battle: Snarling Dogs Wonder Wah 2 vs. Original GCB-95 Crybaby

DylanWilde

• Members

Don't get the Cry baby. It doesn't have true bypass, so it's a real tone sucker when it's off. Between the two, I'd go with the Wonder Wah, but I would probably save up and get one of the more expensive Sarling Dos or Crybaby. There's the Crybaby Classic (much better than the standard), and then there's the 535Q, which is better than both. The more expensive Snarling Dogs are really awsome too (like the aforementioned Whine-O-Wah).

• Members

I'm not a huge tone purist freak, I think all of my pedals suck my tone, but I dont' really care.

I am looking for the one that is the smoothest, most expressive, and is more reliable. I will pretty much never be using it clean, since my tone goes from either tube driven dirt to fuzz.

• Members

I have the ww2. Great pedal in my opinion. Sounds much deeper then the crybaby lot wider sweep. That said, it does boost your tone a bit, and can be harsh clean, but if your playing dirty it'll work very well. The whey you get to the top (toe end) part of the sweep it gets pretty sensative, but other then that its very comfertable to use. Apparently they had some issues with their earlier pedals, but have fixed them up since then. I havn't had any issues with mine, have had it for 6 months. Can't beat the price for truebypass + light up eyes!

got it for $59 shipped~b stock, but I didn't see a thing wrong with it.

http://store.guitarcore.com/sdpwwdw2.html

They also have the whino for $99. Some great picks, and I picked up the arion power supply for 9.99, increadable value.

• Members

Another vote for the Whine-o-Wah.

I have one of the original Dunlop Crybaby's and can't recommend it, or any Dunlop pedal. I find Dunlop products to be of low quality in general--I think all their stuff is made in China, as is the Whine-o-Wah; but the build quality of my Whine-o-Wah is noticeably better.

• Members

- SD is made in china too. The main gripe I have with my wonder wah is the toe down position is way to sensitive and harsh. The gripe I had with my cry baby was that it wasn't dynamic enough with higher gain. Would have been better with a wider sweep. You might want to consider saving up to get a used dime bag wah or the whino wah. I'm sure u could find a used whino for about 60 or 70, but u'd be much better off getting the new one with improved reliability + a preamp volume knob, so you could turn the thing down a bit. I really wish the wonder wah had a volume pot, as it does boost the signal and i think thats where a lot of the harshness comes from.

• Members

I forgot to mention that the WW2 is basically the scaled down version of the Whine-O Wah, with only one mode instead of three (the more classical voicing).

http://snarlingdogs.com/

If you mostly run through a distortion pedal, you may have trouble with a loss of sweep/sensitivity using a classic-type wah pedal, such as the Crybaby, which does not have the level boost feature in the Whine-O Wah. (I believe the WW2 has this boost knob, too.)

http://foxroxelectronics.com/Wah%20retrofit%201.html

My biggest gripe with the Whine-O Wah is that the last bit of the pedal's sweep, towards the toe down position , is very sensitive. I still like the pedal better than the original Crybaby, however

• Members

I don't know what the other one sounds like, but I'd not recommend getting the Crybaby unless you're willing to mod it. Its definitley worth the extra $$$ to get one with true bypass. Wahs such WAY more tone than most regular pedals. It also sounds really harsh when pressed all the way down. This can be corrected by adjusting the tone pot inside. I don't see why they ship them in the position they do. There's also a few other things you can easily mod inside to change the sound, but you might as well just buy something better to begin with. Overall, it sounds pretty decent once you adjust the pot, but add in the expense of buying a true bypass switch and suddenly you could have just bought something better for the price.

• Members

Originally posted by ZepFuzz05

I think the buil quality has improve dramatically from what I have read, and it seems as if most people are recommending the Wonder Wah over the Crybaby. So I guess the Snarling Dog comes out on top.

Yeah, if they're reliable, I'd get one -- I had the the super bawl whine-o wah, with three tone selections and a boost -- the mid tone selection sans boost was freakin awesome... till it broke.

• Members

The Snarling dogs have a 1 year warranty now, by the way.

FWIW, the only pedal I've ever had fail on me, besides the original Dunlop Crybaby, was a very expensive boutique pedal (I won't name names because the builder rectified the situation). All things mechanical are subject to failure--it's part of the deal.

Archived