Narrowed it down Laney gh50l or older protube AOR? Advice?

Redfox777

• Members

These two amps seem to have exactly what I am looking for. I was also thinking about a Carvin legacy but people seem to think that amp is much too dark and not as good for crunchy rhythm work. Ok first off, I am looking for that sweet el34 marshall crunch but I want something with its own character. I hear nothing but great stuff about the Laney brand and it would be cool to have an amp that isnt as well known but sounds amazing. I am not worried about a clean sound, this amp will be for overdrive only. (have a peavey classic 50 for cleans) I love mids and use hard rockish gain settings (think soundgarden, pearl jam). The main problem is I can't decide between these two amps. I am tempted more by the gh because the reviews seem more consistent but the AOR protube lead heads can be had for so cheap and get great reveiws as well. Any of you Laney owners have any advice for me. I have been staring at laney amps for long enough its time for me to finally bit the bullet and get one.

• Members

AORs are great. JCM 800 killers IMO.

Pros:

great overall tone

loads of options treble, mid and bass boost plus two preamp volumes

super cheap

Cons:

not quite enough bass with the bass cranked, but sonic boom with the boost

the effect loop being serial tends to overload some rack gear

I've seen guys use an EQ in the loop to great effect. It helps with the lack of low end.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I have a aor 3012 and an aor 5012(recently) I finally have a basis for the sound in my head, both are protube versions, 6v6 and el34 respectively. I love these amps, I run a tech 21 doubledrive in front and a dod eq in the loop of the 3012(Fane 12"), peavey footswitch for the reverb and boost, good stuff mmmmmmmgoood! :love:

Archived