OT: 20 Years After Chernobyl

rockstrongo

• Members

I don't really post off topic threads, but people should see this. Nuclear testing and weaponry scares the living {censored} out of me. Roll over the photos for explanations.

Apparently, it takes two hundred generations for genetic materials to fully recover from contamination. That's generations and generations of your children.

Incredible photos. I'm speechless

http://www.pixelpress.org/chernobyl/

• Members

http://www.pripyat.com/ru/photo_gallery/pripyat/1/

Oddly enough, as a result of Chernobyl wildlife has been able to thrive in the area without humans around. Apparently most animals have a higher tolerance for radiation than humans.

Definatley creepy pics. You have to realize though that this type of situation could never happen with modern reactors, and even then, what happened in Russia was do to complete human {censored}ups.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Oddly enough, as a result of Chernobyl wildlife has been able to thrive in the area without humans around. Apparently most animals have a higher tolerance for radiation than humans.

Definatley creepy pics. You have to realize though that this type of situation could never happen with modern reactors, and even then, what happened in Russia was do to complete human {censored}ups.

Yeah, I see your point. I guess its not the technology that bothers me as much as trusting people to operate it properly and safely.

• Members

Also, some of those pics with the messed up kids might not be real. A lot of people like to use Chernobyl as a way to fight nuclear power. I'm highly against using nuclear power as a weapon, its only good for destroying the planet.

There are a lot of kids that have suffered gross abnormalities due to fallout, but that one with the giant head looks suspect to me. I could be wrong though.

Another interesting site is here:

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/default.htm

Here's an article explaining that it was a hoax:

http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2004/05/fraud-exposed-and-true-thing.asp

Apparently she went on some paid tour through the area, and made up all the motorcycle stuff afterwards.

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

There is a woman who has documented the hot areas near there. She drives a motorcyle through, but must not stop for too long because of the rads still in the area. I wish I had the website...

Here it is:

I have always been against nuclear energy.

Search the forum, there was a thread about $80 a barrel oil and we went at it over nuclear energy for a while. I think its an important energy source for the future, and modern designs make it quite safe. I visited Commanche Peak nuclear power plant in middle school. It gets a lot of bad press, but if you look around and do the research, its much cleaner than burning fossil fuels and there are ways to deal with the waste safely. The problem is having regulations in place that make sure it is dealt with safely.

Oh, and read my above post. The motorcycle chick was a hoax.

• Members

The whole nuclear thing reminds me of Asbestos. They called it the "Miracle Mineral". The Western world could'nt get enough of it in the 40's, 50's and 60's. It was used in everything that needed insulating. Electricians, plumbers, heating engineers, demolition workers and builders did'nt have a clue that the panels they were smashing, drilling and sawing through would cause them much anxeity, stress and anguish 20 to 30 years later when it was revealed that Asbestos had been linked to cancer many times over. Of course, this was kept under wraps by the companies producing and selling this stuff to continue making money and avoid thousands of lawsuits that eventually occured.

It's {censored}ing disgusting.

• Members

Like I said, just do some research on it. It doesn't pollute the air like burning fossil fuels does, and things like pebble bed reactors are very safe, with no possibility of something like Chernobyl happening.

Yes, a nuclear meltdown is a horrific thing, but we have the technology and the know-how to use nuclear power safely. We've been using nuclear reactors on our aircraft carriers for decades, and nothing bad has happened. Even the crazy libruls in France make extensive use of nuclear power, and even sell it to other countries.

Asbestos was certainly a bad idea, but I don't see how you can compare that to nuclear power, something that has been utilized safely and without incident for decades now.

Just do some research. I did a project on nuclear power back in middle school, and even then it was clearly a much more efficient and environmentally friendly way to produce power than fossil fuels. The only argument you can make against it is nuclear waste, and with proper restrictions and monitering, that can be dealt with safely.

Archived