Anybody emmigrated?

sub rosa

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Yeah, for an amp like that, that you really like, then just look at all the options for shipping to Oz. What style of amp is it?

That still doesn't preclude you from buying a cool Oz amp as well.
:idea:

It's a Matamp Chino (the 1st produced as a head and cab).

Low Gain non Master Volume amp
2 x KT77s
15 Watts nominal (clean) output and footswitchable Reverb. VOICE - VOLUME - REVERB - BASS - MIDDLE - TREBLE - PRESENCE
FX loop

Cab is a 2x12" loaded with Celestion G12M Greenbacks wired to 16ohms.

Matampsign2.jpg

The pic was taken outside the Matamp factory.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My wife and I are thinking about moving to New Zealand next summer. She's a dentist and unlike the in states, she won't have to resit a load of exams to allow her to practise.
It'll be nice because I won't have to work initially, so I'll try and find a job in a guitar or bike/outdoor sports shop, or I'll re-invent myself as an artist. Might be nice to start a serious band too and do a bit of freelance graphic design on the side, but we shall see...

• Members
Originally posted by sub rosa

It's a Matamp Chino (the 1st produced as a head and cab).

Low Gain non Master Volume amp

2 x KT77s

15 Watts nominal (clean) output and footswitchable Reverb. VOICE - VOLUME - REVERB - BASS - MIDDLE - TREBLE - PRESENCE

FX loop

Cab is a 2x12" loaded with Celestion G12M Greenbacks wired to 16ohms.

Matampsign2.jpg

The pic was taken outside the Matamp factory.

That amps looks sweet - what does it sound like? Reference points?
I've had my C7 for a while now, and whilst I'm loving it, I'm getting itchy feet for another one!!

• Members

Originally posted by Vince

That amps looks sweet - what does it sound like? Reference points?

I've had my C7 for a while now, and whilst I'm loving it, I'm getting itchy feet for another one!!

I believe it was designed based on what was to be the C15 amp. This is a low gain varient on that design.

An approximation is to set the C7 to about 8 o'clock gain, attack about 11 o'clock and EQ to suite. Reverb on. Now imagine as you wind the amp up it just gets louder instead of breaking up and you get some idea of the Chino.

That's not the only sound of the Chino though but is certainly a setting I loved on my C7 (which I now have a buyer for).

• Members

I believe it was designed based on what was to be the C15 amp. This is a low gain varient on that design.

An approximation is to set the C7 to about 8 o'clock gain, attack about 11 o'clock and EQ to suite. Reverb on. Now imagine as you wind the amp up it just gets louder instead of breaking up and you get some idea of the Chino.

That's not the only sound of the Chino though but is certainly a setting I loved on my C7 (which I now have a buyer for).

Sounds nice. I'll try that out tonight when I get home, but I don't think that it's possible to get a bad sound from a Matamp!!

• Members

A weird thought for me, Christmas in the middle of Summer, WTF?!

Yeah see, a 'freezing your nuts off winter stuck inside' is completely foreign to us. Last year, Xmas day was an absolute shocker. Nearly 40 deg C and very high humidity. I spend most of the day with my feet in a big bucket of luke warm water.

Xmas here means beach, blazing sun, endless cricket, endless beers, BBQ's, people not wearing a lot, flies, sweating, going troppo...

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Yeah see, a 'freezing your nuts off winter stuck inside' is completely foreign to us. Last year, Xmas day was an absolute shocker. Nearly 40 deg C and very high humidity. I spend most of the day with my feet in a big bucket of luke warm water.

Xmas here means beach, blazing sun, endless cricket, endless beers, BBQ's, people not wearing a lot, flies, sweating, going troppo...

{censored} it! book me a flight, I'm coming over!!:cool:

• Members

Damn!!!! I tried this setting last night, and, why have I not noticed this sound before!! Just amazing!!!! nice and fat clean with a hint of break up. then with my keeley BD-2, it just sounds glorious!!! I'm a very happy man now!!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

don't get me started!

have you seen the satire on the aussie tourism, where the bloody hell have you been, campaign???

Several actually...

...the best one was on the ABC's Chaser's War on Everything show. Alas I couldn't find a link.

• Members
Originally posted by Vince

Damn!!!! I tried this setting last night, and, why have I not noticed this sound before!! Just amazing!!!! nice and fat clean with a hint of break up. then with my keeley BD-2, it just sounds glorious!!! I'm a very happy man now!!
:thu:

It's a good'n isn't it! Experimented a bit after visiting the factory and trying the Chino combo they had there, wanted to see how clean and full I could get the sound and that's what I came up with. It's all down to how much negative feedback you put in the circuit with the attack control. The C7 is good fun for things like that.

• Members
Originally posted by Grozna_Pizda

You guys make it sound as if expatriation is fun.
:confused:

well growing up in australia was a mixed bag. i had a lot of fun, but the racism was painful. my parents are still there and have made the most of it.

being an expat in london was a blast. i long to do that again.

india sucks in a lot of ways (don't tell the indians that though, they kinda touchy :eek: ). however, it has been an amazing experience that has taught me a lot, blah, blah, blah...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey Sub,

Very late to this thread but better late than never ... what's the reason you want to move over this way just out of interest? I grew up in the UK and Australia - father is English so tons of family over in blighty - went to school there in Essex and spent earlier childhood years in London. I'm actually thinking of moving back to the UK if only for Music ... the lifestyle here is better that's for sure but believe me England has it's charms for me also - and some stuff not so great but don't kid yourself, every country has it's {censored}. :)

Archived