Anybody emmigrated?

sub rosa

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by sub rosa

How about gear shipping? I intend to sell of most of my worldly possesions apart from my amp, guitar and pedalboard.

Well, anything heavy weight like amps etc, you're going to want to go with a dedicated heavy weight shipper. The cheapest of course would be surface shipping which would be around 3 months and perhaps not as safe (you'd definitely want good insurance this way) or by air, with someone like Bax Global (if they still ship personal gear which I suspect they don't alas)...you can try them by calling a local Bax office and asking for a quote.

Shipping to Oz is the most expensive thing given how far away we are from everywhere. I know my brothers have used heavy weight shippers to Britain but they're not here so I can't ask 'em right now. One will be showing up on Sunday though.

• Members
Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Well, anything heavy weight like amps etc, you're going to want to go with a dedicated heavy weight shipper. The cheapest of course would be surface shipping which would be around 3 months and perhaps not as safe (you'd definitely want good insurance this way) or by air, with someone like Bax Global (if they still ship personal gear which I suspect they don't alas)...you can try them by calling a local Bax office and asking for a quote.

Shipping to Oz is the most expensive thing given how far away we are from everywhere. I know my brothers have used heavy weight shippers to Britain but they're not here so I can't ask 'em right now. One will be showing up on Sunday though.

guitar: i've always had my guitar as a carry-on. works usually even with long international flights.

pedalboard: this can be one of your items to check on. stuff it with socks so as not to waste space and protect the gear! :idea: compare prices of shipping vs. adding it on as extra baggage (assuming you have a lot already).

amp: sell the old one, buy a replacement? that's what i did when i returned to the US from the EU. mind you, i was all too happy to get rid of the Marshall valvestate! ;)

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

guitar: i've always had my guitar as a carry-on. works usually even with long international flights.

pedalboard: this can be one of your items to check on. stuff it with socks so as not to waste space and protect the gear!
:idea:
compare prices of shipping vs. adding it on as extra baggage (assuming you have a lot already).

amp: sell the old one, buy a replacement? that's what i did when i returned to the US from the EU. mind you, i was all too happy to get rid of the Marshall valvestate!
;)

Yes, if that's all he has, that would be a good way to go. Buying an imported amp in Oz however would be far more expensive than importing your own despite pricey shipping.

If you're going to do this Sub Rosa, then you would be better to buy one of the locally made amps here and there are at least 5 boutique makers here who make some killer amps for relatively good value (especially when converting from GBP).

If you want to check this option out, look through the links on this website to see if anything takes your fancy...

http://www.guitargear.net.au/discussion/index.php?topic=2009.0

I can give you one example. BJ Amps in my city makes at least 4 models of amps (non-clone tweed, BF, Marshall style circuits) which I know have resulted in people selling off their Boogies, VHT, Soldano, Fenders etc once they heard them.

• Members

I can't see NZ ever being attacked by foreign countries but military hardware can come in good use in major disasters and in local South Pacific skirmishes like the Solomans presently.

NZ just not big enough to sustain an airforce or large military, and they're smart enough to stay off the radar as far as terrorism etc goes, unlike out idiotic government.
:rolleyes:

Anyway, Aus and NZ are very different countries despite being neighbours, so it's worth checking out both first hand to see which fits.

i was born in london, moved to australia twice, then to NZ
NZ dont need a military, have you seen how hard it would be to attack, nz would see you comming and after a few cups of coffee they would shoot you down with some high tech thing they havent told anybody about. its a very smart place and i love it here.

• Members

I have no real interest in staying here. Because of my passport I believe I should at least explore what I can do and Australasia v UK, well, the UK is not winning any points!

I don't miss that place, only Old Trafford. Been here 16 years.
DON'T MISS THE RAIN!
:wave: :wave:

• Members

How about gear shipping? I intend to sell of most of my worldly possesions apart from my amp, guitar and pedalboard.

you could look into first luggage which would be cheaper than extra luggage for a long haul.

my experience is that it is getting harder and harder to get a guitar (or other bigger items) on as carry-on and i would assume, on a london to aus flight that unless you are business or better, the guitar will go down the chute at the gate. better have a good case.

you might also want to ask some packing companies for a quote to ship the stuff for you. it will cost more, but stuff is professionally packed and that would put you in a much stronger insurance position.

• Members
Originally posted by Seth Carmody

I'm intending to move to the UK next year to work for a bit then blow all the money I make on a backpacking adventure
:D
Don't know what's going to happen re gear though. I think i'll have to blow out some pedals and get an acoustic.
:o

if you have good gear and intend to move back to aus at some point, put it in storage!

• Members

Yes, if that's all he has, that would be a good way to go. Buying an imported amp in Oz however would be far more expensive than importing your own despite pricey shipping.

If you're going to do this Sub Rosa, then you would be better to buy one of the locally made amps here and there are at least 5 boutique makers here who make some killer amps for relatively good value (especially when converting from GBP).

If you want to check this option out, look through the links on this website to see if anything takes your fancy...

I can give you one example. BJ Amps in my city makes at least 4 models of amps (non-clone tweed, BF, Marshall style circuits) which I know have resulted in people selling off their Boogies, VHT, Soldano, Fenders etc once they heard them.

Could do....but thing is, mine's a Matamp and it's the best amp I've ever heard. There is a Matamp New Zealand distributor but I'd of thought it would be cheaper to send mine over than buy another one.

God damn it.

• Members

Could do....but thing is, mine's a Matamp and it's the best amp I've ever heard. There is a Matamp New Zealand distributor but I'd of thought it would be cheaper to send mine over than buy another one.

God damn it.

Yeah, for an amp like that, that you really like, then just look at all the options for shipping to Oz. What style of amp is it?

That still doesn't preclude you from buying a cool Oz amp as well.:idea:

Archived