How much of a turn off is an 18 volt pedal to you.

• Members

just some market research...

I am really curious. To me it has never really been an issue. my dunlop 535q was never an issue for me when i was gigging. I had a DC brick which has 3 18v outputs available, but i realize a lot of people use batteries, or daisy chain a 9v power supply.

brian

• Members

i'd put up with it if i really liked the pedal. i have a separate PS for my Magicstomp (necessary) and DL4 (recommneded due to power sensitivity); i'd prefer using just the 1spot but i'm not gonna dismiss a pedal based solely on that. so i'd get an 18v if need be.

one solution might be including a power cable like 70s Morley and EHX pedals...

• Members

I eliminated all adaptors from my board about 2 years ago and won't run anything that I can't use with just a 9V battery or my daisy chain. I have yet to find a pedal that can only be used with an adaptor that I can't live without. There's no shortage of great 9V boxes out there.

Now if it was something truly unique and amazing??????:D

• Members

Originally posted by LoneStarGuitar

im all for 18 volts and the increased headroom.

same here, as long as the 18volts does something (I love filters to run at 18volts, it just sound better)

so when is that new deluxe filter you are working going to be available, brian? will it be 18 volts?

• Members

It's not a problem to use an 18V pedal with a 9V daisy chain, just add a charge pump circuit. One of Keeley's Pedal Power articles showed how to do this with a TS-9. So long as the pedal doesn't draw more than 40mA or so it should work fine.

I've got an old Ibanez FL-301 that's been running off a Godlyke Powerall Daisy Chain for nearly a year. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Alex D

same here, as long as the 18volts does something (I love filters to run at 18volts, it just sound better)

so when is that new deluxe filter you are working going to be available, brian? will it be 18 volts?

that is kind of why i am asking. I am finding it just that much sweeter at the higher voltage. I dont really want to use a charge pump, for two reasons. 1 being noise, 2 being FCC rule 16. If you run charge pumps at high enough of a frequency that you absolutely can not hear them i believe rule 16 applies. Charge pumps also eat batteries.

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

that is kind of why i am asking. I am finding it just that much sweeter at the higher voltage. I dont really want to use a charge pump, for two reasons. 1 being noise, 2 being FCC rule 16. If you run charge pumps at high enough of a frequency that you absolutely can not hear them i believe rule 16 applies. Charge pumps also eat batteries.

Don't do it, keep the 18 volts :cool: Sign me up for a 18 volts version if you go the 9v way :D

oh ya is there a wait list or sign up sheet for the first run, if so kick me the info :thu:

• Members

If I ran out of outputs on my DC brick and powered my chorus with the 18volt out - will that hurt the pedal in any way? I don't see much of a difference in sound but I'm curious what effect it might have on the pedal itself...

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

just some market research...

I am really curious. To me it has never really been an issue. my dunlop 535q was never an issue for me when i was gigging. I had a DC brick which has 3 18v outputs available, but i realize a lot of people use batteries, or daisy chain a 9v power supply.

brian

It would bother me unless it came with an adapter. Like my 30V ring mod :)

• Members

Doesn't bother me. I've got a E Mistress, a BlueBoy on the way, and tried to get an AD-80 and CS-505. 18v adaptors aren't hard to source here, so I'm guessing it would be even easier in the US.

The thing that peeves me is when they all have different DC jacks :mad:

• Members
Originally posted by Alex D

Don't do it, keep the 18 volts
:cool:
Sign me up for a 18 volts version if you go the 9v way
:D

oh ya is there a wait list or sign up sheet for the first run, if so kick me the info
:thu:

There will be some more info on the website in a couple weeks. I really need to edit the info that is currently on there, because I have slimmed the design down a little.

I dont really have a sign up list or anything. Truthfully I'm probably not oragnized enough to keep track of it if i started one. A price hasnt been established yet either, so it would be a little hard to ask people to comit to buying something with out knowing the cost.

Archived