Ever changed a DL-4 switch?

slideroni

• Members

hey y'all-
The number one, leftmost switch on my Dl-4 delay unit is messed up. Pretty clearly a mechanical prob- it just doesn't click anymore.
I think what I need to do is:
1. call Line 6 and have them send me a switch- I think they'll do that free- it's like a 25 cent part.
2. unscrew all the screws.
3. pull off the knobs- this is the tough part, maybe- I think I'll use a piece of paper or cardboard to protect the knobs, then vice grips.
4. then I'm hoping to pop out the switch, or maybe unscew it? And then put in the new one. I'm hoping there is no soldering involved.
My local shop wants $65 for this repair, and the turnaround time is sometime before Halloween.
Would appreciate the good knowledge of my esteemed fellow forum members.

• Members

No soldering involved unless the tactile switch inside is damaged. Sounds like it might be your spring, in which case you may not even need a new one.

The switches themselves aren't really doing anything...they're just pressing down on board-mount tactile switches inside the unit. You'll see what I mean when you open it up.

Definitely not a $65 repair unless there's more to it than the spring.

• Members

Thanks y'all. Finally got the courage to do this- wasn't easy. If you do this, don't undo the nuts holding the switches- unnecessary. undid all the screws I could find and it still wouldn't come loose- then figured out that a metal post-type thing in the middle needed to be unscrewed. Also the nuts on the inputs and outputs. even then it took some shaking and pulling to get the board loose.
Turns out the problem was a tiny missing part- a white plastic cylinder inside the spring. Made one out of a piece of string trimmer line, put it back together, it works... but now some knobs turn really easily, while others have the same feel they used to have. Anybody know what's up with that?

• Members

I had this problem with DL4 myself. I couldn't use it for more than a year. It's a pain in the ass to get it back correctly, but it can be done with pliers, and probably the help of a good buddy. Expect a few hours work trying to work it in and screw it in correctly.

Archived