All true bypass, and still my signal's affected

• Members

Help me out here ; all of my pedals are true bypass, and still I have a very different sound when I plug my guitar in directly. I've tried every pedal apart, and they all seem to have it. I always seem to have some low mid boost and loss of top end.

I use klotz, planet waves and cordial cables.

Ideas?

Jan

• Members

You have a long signal chain with no buffering so you will loose something.

As good and desirable as true bypass is, I do feel it is over hyped in some respects. A good buffered pedal in a long chain does wonders to sustain the signal.

• Members

Originally posted by sub rosa

Ideally if there are times when you are running with all the pedals off you should use a bypass looper which will reduce the overall length of path the signal needs to go through before reaching your amp.

True, but when running with the effects ON, it actually INCREASES the amount of cable! I'd add a buffer!

Use a pedal with a decent buffer as the last one.

In general, i thought the recommendation was to put the buffer first - thus dropping the impedence of your signal, losing less through long runs. Doesn't make sense to drop impedence after all the cables have been passed through, does it?

I think what you are describing is a boost rather than a buffer.

I run my buffer at the beginning of my chain, and my boost (my Timmy) at the end for clean boost/EQ duty. Zach's SHO does a fantastic buffer at the beginning of the chain - adds a ton of presence too! If i was still playing live, i'd have kept mine in a heartbeat!

Brian

• Members

I use a Monkey Chubby Chimp and eq the amp with all the pedals but the boost off. I do have a TB loop but dont bother using it much. I also have an EH Graphic Fuzz. The Fuzz can be disengaged and the EQ is good for correcting the sound.

• Members

Originally posted by trumpus

True, but when running with the effects ON, it actually INCREASES the amount of cable! I'd add a buffer!

In general, i thought the recommendation was to put the buffer first - thus dropping the impedence of your signal, losing less through long runs. Doesn't make sense to drop impedence after all the cables have been passed through, does it?

I think what you are describing is a boost rather than a buffer.

I run my buffer at the beginning of my chain, and my boost (my Timmy) at the end for clean boost/EQ duty. Zach's SHO does a fantastic buffer at the beginning of the chain - adds a ton of presence too! If i was still playing live, i'd have kept mine in a heartbeat!

Brian

I run a DD3 at the end of the chain. Works for me.

• Members

Here's a quick clip : first the strat through the chain, then direct into the amp, then the tele through, then the tele direct.

bypasstest

My lemon fuzz is acting weird too, but when I took it out of the chain, the problem was still there. I'll remove the pedals one by one and report later.

Jan

• Members

OK, so the Russian Small Stone isn't the culprit.

I moved the SCP as a buffer to the front of the chain, and vwoala, my beloved signal is back again.

You would think I was happy now, alas :

the Lemon fuzz sound very shrill after the buffer, and if I put it in front, my original signal is affected as in the clip. The Lemon fuzz is true bypass.

?????????????????????????????

Jan

• Members

Originally posted by Man In space

OK, so the Russian Small Stone isn't the culprit.

I moved the SCP as a buffer to the front of the chain, and vwoala, my beloved signal is back again.

You would think I was happy now, alas :

the Lemon fuzz sound very shrill after the buffer, and if I put it in front, my original signal is affected as in the clip. The Lemon fuzz is true bypass.

?????????????????????????????

Jan

Many fuzz pedals do not like having buffers before them.

• Members

Originally posted by CS

Now Bieke has mentioned it, the Russian EH's are not true bypass (?)

I had one I bought about 2 years ago, and it deff had a 3dpt switch in there. Russian=black w/yellow right? I sold it someone on the forum. I don't think the old green ones were.

• Members

Originally posted by sub rosa

Many fuzz pedals do not like having buffers before them.

Ok, but the Lemon is true bypass, so it shouldn't affect the tone if I place it before the buffer, right?

And what do people with more than one fuzz do?

thanks,

Jan

• Members

Originally posted by Man In space

Ok, but the Lemon is true bypass, so it shouldn't affect the tone if I place it before the buffer, right?

And what do people with more than one fuzz do?

thanks,

Jan

Ok, to expand on this, a lot of fuzz pedals don't like having a buffer or effect before them. So, a TB pedal would not effect the fuzz pedal when the TB effect is off. When switching said pedal on the fuzz reacts like it has a buffered pedal on before it.

• Members

Originally posted by bieke

I'd blame the black russian small stone

I have one of these and I'd agree with Bieke. The one I have changes the sound of my signal/pedal/cable chain a good bit. If it weren't for the fact that I like the sound of the pedal mine would be off the board, and lately I've threatened to kick it off anyway, because of this.

• Members

I would split your chain into several true bypass loops - i.e. don't run through 15-20 pedals, try running through only 3 or 4 at once. Figure out the best way to divide up your pedals, considering that you can get multi on-off or A/B/C/D loopers depending on your needs.

Archived