telecaster question

outofmoney

• Members

the coolest visible thing about some telecasters is the ash tray that covers the bridge..

does it affect the tone at ALL? When I went to the guitar store, all they said was the ash tray is only good for putting cigarette ash in.

I don't buy that! Isn't there at least some interference of the magnetic fields from the bridge pickups?

• Members

Originally posted by outofmoney

When I went to the guitar store, all they said was the ash tray is only good for putting cigarette ash in.

that HAD to be in guitar center, right?

it was put on to cover up the unslightly pickup, which was considered by Leo to be too techie-looing.

its main purpose is to be in the way. players soon found out that it prevents palm muting and picking at the bridge (a must on a tele!).

Originally posted by outofmoney

I don't buy that! Isn't there at least some interference of the magnetic fields from the bridge pickups?

it probably does dampen the tone in the same way that chrome pickup covers do.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

it probably does dampen the tone in the same way that chrome pickup covers do.

Chrome neck covers come between the pickup and string, I doubt the bridge cover has as much of an effect. It may offer some shielding, but not enough to deal with the inconvienence of playing around it.

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

that HAD to be in guitar center, right?

haha. I want to say yes, but it was Matt Umanov's in Manhattan.

seriously, though.. if Leo put the ash tray there just for aesthetic purposes, he sure suceeded by making the guitar look better

Archived