Tried a few OD/Distortions Today

Lensrock

• Members

I tried out a few OD/Dist pedals at Make'n Music this afternoon.

1. Maxon OD-820 - Nice pedal, lots of available volume. Wasn't terribly impressed though. It does your basic TS style boost, but with more clarity. It still had too much of a mid hump for me though

2. Maxon DS-830 Distortion Master - TONS of output just like everyone says. I loved the bass response of this pedal. It really has that 'oomph' to it and sounds very heavy. The main problem with this pedal was, though, that the gain was way too fizzy sounding and impossible to dial out. I wish i could find a pedal with the bass response of this pedal, without the buzzy/fizzy gain

3. HBE Big D - Wow. This pedal kicked the other two's asses. Very natural response that even had some sag to it. I preferred the hard clipping with the first 3 diode settings. Very amp-like. I think this will be my next OD/Dist

Also, the guys at Make'n are such nice guys. Very open to chat and recommend stuff to try out. Plus they're little isolation rooms have the cream of the crop amp-wise. I tried all of the above pedals out through a Top Hat Super(?) Deluxe. AWESOME amp.

• Members

I would not compare the Big D and the OD-820.
I think the OD-820 is great as a lighter overdrive, and I did not notice the mid hump as with the TS-9 or TS9DX. It also has the feature of running at 18v, which may be a factor regarding the clarity you mentioned.

The Big D is a VERY versatile distortion. Great pedal. Highly tweakable and a lot of fun :)

• Members

I compared the two pedals simply because I was trying out any flavor of OD/Distortion I could. If you want to get down to it, the Maxon OD820 and DS830 shouldn't be compared either. Rather, it was really like trying three different classes of pedals today.

• Members

Originally posted by Lensrock

Isn't the green line a TS type pedal?

Thats what everyone compares it to, I dont know if it has a 4558 in it or not. Personally I think it does the TS thing very well but it goes to too many other places to get labled that. Killer OD

Archived