Pumpkins writing a new album

Lensrock

• Members

My girlfriend called me and told me that she heard on the radio that the Pumpkins were getting back together. I just looked at their website and it says that its official that they are going to begin recording a new album this summer.

• Members

Originally posted by phyrexia

Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlain are the only ones we can count on.

Melissa Auf Der Mar said she'd play, but who knows.

(Supposedly) Billy recently announced that both D'arcy and Iha decided not to rejoin the band.

But that, yes, Melissa Auf Der Mar would be taking up bass, and that the guitarist from Hole (Eric Erlandson) would be taking Iha's spot.

So new Pumpkins would then be half Pumpkins, and half the better half of Hole! Go figure. Then again Billy is good friends with Courtney, hence how he met Melissa in the first place, so it makes sense he would also go after Eric to fill in for Iha.

• Members

d'arcy and james are replacable...jimmy is not...

i love the pumpkins, but if its only billy and jimmy out of the original line-up, wouldn't this basically be another Zwan? unless of course billy rules the creative process with an iron fist, THEN i guess it would be really be the pumpkins

maybe using the pumpkins name is just an excuse to play his old songs again...(which isn't a bad thing :cool:)

• Members

Originally posted by Lensrock

Oh god, its going to be another one of those early nineties "supergroups."

Nah, not really. Melissa was with Pumpkins long enough that she can be considered a member by now, even if D'arcy is the 'true' bassist.. Eric would be the only outsider now, technically. Plus from my understanding, Billy had to do everything for D'arcy anyways. I personally think he was just impatient with her being a slower musician than the rest of the band, but that's Billy.

Besides, Billy sort of IS the Pumpkins, when it comes down to it. Iha wrote some awesome songs, like Mayonaise, which is even my favorite TSP song... But to be honest, after Siamese Dream I think Billy just took over everything. I could be wrong, but still.

I will always feel that Billy+Iha were the true magic of the band, but on the same note, Billy has also proved he can take control and do it all himself. It was also my impression that Iha's playing was a lot more 'personal' than Billy's, so maybe that was the little bit of added "magic".

But yeah, Billy did admit himself that he wanted his old songs back, so it makes sense he wants to revisit it all.

• Members
Originally posted by BigFurryWhale

The pumpkins seem to get alot of attention around here. What are some of their best/classic albums?

Siamese Dream, and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness seem to be the two classic fan-favorites.

Mellon Collie for me. :) Although Mayonaise is still my favorite song from the band.

• Members

Originally posted by Klisk

Besides, Billy sort of IS the Pumpkins, when it comes down to it. Iha wrote some awesome songs, like Mayonaise, which is even my favorite TSP song... But to be honest, after Siamese Dream I think Billy just took over everything. I could be wrong, but still.

you've got that backwards.

• Members
Originally posted by BigFurryWhale

The pumpkins seem to get alot of attention around here. What are some of their best/classic albums?

I prefer their first two, maybe two and a half (if you count Pisces Iscariot). Anything from Mellon Collie on doesn't interest me. I used to be a big fan, but they lost me with most of Mellon Collie.

• Members

Well, I agree that Billy WAS the Pumpkins, but I think the magic is over. Machina was awesome, and Zwan was just ok(Amazing live show though), and his solo cd was god awful. I'm just thinking its not going to be. Some people just have to lay it down. But, I could be wrong.

• Members

Originally posted by murch33

I prefer their first two, maybe two and a half (if you count Pisces Iscariot). Anything from Mellon Collie on doesn't interest me. I used to be a big fan, but they lost me with most of Mellon Collie.

Siamese Dream is there best, but I can't see glossing completley over Mellon Collie. It's problem is that it's just too damn long. If it was only a single disc, and they cut out some of the {censored} near the end, it'd be much better. After that, though, they head into some weird territory.

Originally posted by Lensrock

Well, I agree that Billy WAS the Pumpkins, but I think the magic is over. Machina was awesome, and Zwan was just ok(Amazing live show though), and his solo cd was god awful. I'm just thinking its not going to be. Some people just have to lay it down. But, I could be wrong.

Didn't Billy basically do everything on Mellon Collie?

And yeah, the magic's probably over. Band's have a shelf life, and few seem to realize it's about the group dynamic and not just any one person. Take just about any split and you can see that afterwards, it's never just the same. Maybe they could still put out something half-decent. And I've never seen a pumpkins concert, so this might actually give me a chance to go see one.

Archived