My Overdrive/boost search is over. Smart People content

john l

• Members

THE GREEN LINE OVERDRIVE from The Smart People Factory is the best sounding OD Ive ever heard. Does the Tube Screamer thing but takes you everywhere else too. Plenty of output at any tone setting, vintage and modern switch (lower and higher gain), and a bass boost.

Went through the works. Vintage SD-1 (with the JRC 4558), Vintage DOD Preamp 250, Durham Sex Drive, Durham Mucho Boosto, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster, and various Tube Screamers. I liked certain aspects of all of these pedals, but when I tried the Green Line I was floored instantly, it has everything I like about the pedals I tried and improves on them. Anyone looking for an Overdrive need not look further.

• Members

Congrats on discovering your ideal (well, for now anyway :)) overdrive. I had a greenline for about 6 months and sold it--wasn't quite my style. Only later, after learning about what's actually inside pedals did I discover that the greenline is a pretty basic ts-808/9 clone with some switchable mods. As I recall, it had the standard bass boost and distortion boost mods which is essentially switching a few resistors and caps in and out of circuit.

The cool thing for you is that you have found something that sounds good to your ears, and now you know that the tubescreamer circuit is appealing to you--this opens up lots of additional avenues for overdrives.

If you really want to get into learning more about the TS808/9 and how it works, why it sounds good, and mods, here's probably the best article ever:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm

• Members

This is one I also want to check out.

Bottom line is that there are a 1,001 TS clones or variations and tonal opinion is subjective anyway...glad you love it and it is one I'm am looking to try as well. Also want to try the Zendrive.

Good example for the is Lovepedal COT 50....not my cup of tea but I would never say anything negative about the pedal simply because it is an excellent OD....just not my cup of tea.

THis stuff is very subjective....personally I feel people like Rhodes, and Page had the worst tone (Schofield's Rat tone is probably the worst tone on the planet....but I love his playing).

Bb

• Members

Thanks guys, Im by no means an OD afficiando like some of you but I do know good tone when I hear it and the Green Line gives me just that. I usually get all my dirt from my amp but since I got my Uberschall Ive been missing a lesser amount of gain option, this is what started my search for a good OD around a year ago. The thing is that like bassy tone setting and most of the pedals that I tried sounded amazing but didnt have enough output at these settings, it sounded like I turned down my amp when I kicked the pedal in even if the level was wide open. The amp makes this worse because the clean channel is big and thick so the OD needed to be also otherwise it just didnt work out. This is where the Green Line excelled, any tone and plenty of output. Add to the tonal range a bass boost and it was just the thing for me.

Archived