Powering a DM-2

Headlow

• Members

I just picked up an old Boss DM-2. I've done quite a bit of research on the net and know that the standard Boss PSA adaptors cant be used. I also found it hard to get hold of the recommended ACA adaptor. During the time I was having a nosy on the web I came across an article that leads me to believe that as long as I'm using a daisy chain to power other pedals from the PSA, it should also power the DM-2 with no ill effect.

Have a look at the article and tell me what you think...........

http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/bossadapt.htm

Cheers.

• Members

That's from Andreas' site mate, a well respected forumite here. He wouldn't steer you wrong. Besides, even if it didn't work it wouldn't do any damage - the ACA series is 12v, the PSA 9v. Both are DC so a PSA straight into the DM-2 won't provide enough volts is all.

• Members

Well, personally I think it's a wonderful article... :D

But anyway - yes, as long as there's a normal (Boss PSA or similar 9vDC) pedal in the chain, and as long as it as well as the DM-2 are connected both via a daisy chain-style power supply and signal cables, the DM-2 should light up properly.

/Andreas

• Members

Originally posted by Headlow

Cheers. I'm just waiting for the postman to bring the thing to my door now. My patience is starting to go
:(

Has it not arrived yet? it's supposed to be there before 1pm.

As far as powering it, you can get a mains adaptor with variable voltage and set it to 12v. works no problems.

or you could do what andreas said. depends on your setup really.

• Members

Great article. Thanks!

I have an mid 80's DM3 & had been puzzled w/ this issue as well. Several years ago I couldn't figure it out (where were you then ;) ).

I thought it seemed reasonable that if the stinkin pedal would work off of a 9V batt, it should work off of a 9V adapter.

Read somewhere (again this was a while ago) that the ACA was 12V because they couldn't always get 9V. I took it apart & found that resistor. Took some measurements & found that w/ 9V it lowered the voltage too much. Unsoldered 1 end of that resistor & got ~9V.

It's been that way for 7-8 years now.

• Members

Originally posted by andreas

Well, personally I think it's a wonderful article...
:D

But anyway - yes, as long as there's a normal (Boss PSA or similar 9vDC) pedal in the chain, and as long as it as well as the DM-2 are connected both via a daisy chain-style power supply and signal cables, the DM-2 should light up properly.

/Andreas

Yep, I do this with all my Boss pedals. I don't even own an ACA adapter.

Archived