Frank Zappa: Black Napkins?

fuzzface71

• Members

Might have been the maestro sample and hold, I know he used the SH side of it on Duck Duck Goose/Ship Ahoy. I'm just guessing, though, I haven't listened to it in a while.

On Inca Roads (the original version) he used a fairly subtle env. filter, like a Dr. Q that the input is being hammered. But again, I'm just guessing. I'll shut up now. :thu:

• Members

I haven't heard that exact track, but I know Zappa used this rare flanger effect that used an envelope instead of an lfo a lot. Only other place I've heard that sound is on a zoom gfx 707. it basically increases the (very short) delay time the harder you play.

Forgive me if I'm no where near.

• Members

Originally posted by Lanefair

I haven't heard that exact track, but I know Zappa used this rare flanger effect that used an envelope instead of an lfo a lot. Only other place I've heard that sound is on a zoom gfx 707. it basically increases the (very short) delay time the harder you play.

Forgive me if I'm no where near.

This sounds interesting, because the effect also have this flangey-delay tone. I believe he also used the same effect on Ship Ahoy on Shut Up And Play Your Guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzface71

This sounds interesting, because the effect also have this flangey-delay tone. I believe he also used the same effect on Ship Ahoy on Shut Up And Play Your Guitar.

Aha, than it might not be the Mutron III, but a voltage control filter (VCF) circuit from an old Oberheim keyboard, which provides the insanely funky sample-and-hold percolation effect heard on "Ship Ahoy" from Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar. On "Ship Ahoy", Zappa also used a MicMix Dynaflanger

• 2 years later...
  • Members

What is that effect he's using around 2:16 on "Black Napkins" from Zoot Allures? I'm sure it's an enevelope filter, but what kind?
:confused:

I've been listening to some Zappa again these days.
:)

Frank is using an Oberheim SEM Voltage Controlled Filter.

Each SEM contains 2 VCOs, so an 8-Voice in unison mode could produce 16 oscillators of fatness. Currently SEMs are commonly used as "building blocks" for custom made modular synths.

• 11 years later...
  • Members
On 4/25/2006 at 10:25 AM, fuzzface71 said:

What is that effect he's using around 2:16 on "Black Napkins" from Zoot Allures? I'm sure it's an enevelope filter, but what kind?:confused:

I've been listening to some Zappa again these days. :)

In the sheet music it says turn on VCF. Voltage control filter. He had a mad scientist guy making stuff for him. I have a robot talk envelope filter. It has a sweep that you can tweak. It’s very close. 

Archived