I am breaking the "rules" of chorus

Craigfnh

• Members

Originally posted by paperhouse

in my experience, putting a phaser after distortion makes it WAY more intense with a much more noticable swoosh. same with flangers.

Well I had an electric mistress and had to put it after my fuzz because I could hear the swoosh and it drove me crazy. Same thing with all the phasers I've had. But I run everything before the amp. Maybe it's just because I use a lot of fuzz that makes the difference with having that {censored} after it whereas my amp od is pretty light.

• Members

I use both in front and behind... for some specific tones there is no other way to do it than before or after dirt.

One I use often is: delay>phaser>distortion

Another: fuzz>flanger>delay>chorus

Another: delay>fuzz>chorus>delay>looper

SEE EFFECTS IS FUN!!!

-TJK

P.S I really find I prefer a vibe into light dirt over slamming it with a fuzz all Hendrix style... too pronounced... sometimes subtle is beautiful.

• Members

I don't EVER put modulation or delay effects BEFORE distortion.

Isley Brothers "Who's That Lady" is phase shifter AFTER distortion.

I think someone in here tried to say it was BEFORE distortion. I completely dis-agree.

One time Eric Clapton used flange BEFORE distortion in the song "Pretending". I really love that song. And I liked the sound... But I personally NEVER use mod or delay BEFORE distortion. I don't like it. And I don't want any of you people in here doing it! EVER! You hear me???

:p

• Members

OT- is the Chicken Salad or any vibrato considered modulation? I need a book called guitar effects for dummies. I have been playing for 14 years and still have no idea what compression is. Never owned a compressor and don't know if I need one.:freak:

:wave:

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Since I bought my Boss CE-5 I put it after my Big Muff but I always liked it better with my amps built in distortion, which means the chorus is first because dont use loops. So I just tried it BEFORE my Big Muff and I like it a lot better. The effect sounds a bit cooler actually and I dont get a big increase in volume like you do when it is after. So I have decided I like chorus before distortion/fuzz. Am I the only one?

Nope, you're not the only one at all.

Chorus is my most favourite effect, I love it. And I much prefer it in front of my amp. It has a darker, complex edge to it.

I really don't like using chorus in the effects loop- it sounds way too 1980s-style. The only way I can like using chorus post-distortion is by running an overdriven amp signal into the effects return of my Roland Jazz Chorus 120 combo amp, somehow it doesn't seem as cheesey & dated.

• Members

haha i love old threads. but yeah... right now i have all of my dirt before modulation, except my brit bender, and im starting to get soem really kick ass sounds especially wiht my flanger. some really lo-fi, chorusey, dying tape sounds. im really diggint it. and of course, fuzz after modulation for hendrix type stuff. but idk... all depends on the type of song and how it fits with what youre playing.

• Members
Nope, you're not the only one at all.

Chorus is my most favourite effect, I love it. And I much prefer it in front of my amp. It has a darker, complex edge to it.

I really don't like using chorus in the effects loop- it sounds way too 1980s-style. The only way I can like using chorus post-distortion is by running an overdriven amp signal into the effects return of my Roland Jazz Chorus 120 combo amp, somehow it doesn't seem as cheesey & dated.

and why did you bump this? :cop:

:wave:

• Members

my, my, nothing has changed in four years.

Chorus before dirt - '70s

Chorus after dirt - '80s

that's the way I look at it.

I put most simple phasers after fuzz and before overdrives and compressors. You get a lot of crazy swoosh with fuzz->phaser and then more '70s subtle kind of stuff with phaser->rat or ts pedal. Phaser -> comp is funky. 'Vibes usually have to go before everything, in my experience. A subtle flange like the Electic Mistress is good almost anywhere in the chain, but the Flanger Hoax needs fuzzes and filters before it for cool the best "thru-zero" sounds.

tl;dr

• Members
Sometimes that can be nice, I guess.... like an Electric Mistress before a fuzz gives a very Jimi Hendrix univibey kind of sound, but mostly I stick modulation after distortion... but actually, I mostly don't mix the two at all....

For many years, I kept my distortion in front of everything else, but recently got turned onto the idea that there are no rules ( ;)), and so, by experimenting w/ the order of my pedals, I found that having my Ds1 after my wah, trem, vibrato and phasers, but before my flanger, chorus and delay makes for quite a few cool tones, too!

Of course, it really depends on the kind of music you'll be playing, too...my rig is probably not the best for Death Metal, and a Death Metal rig is probably not the most suitable for blues, country, classic rock and jazz. :lol:

Archived