Worthwhile upgrade from J-Station

JD0441

• Members

Hello folks,

I've been using a Johnson J-Station for what seems like forever.

And I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade to the newer units, particularly the Pod XT Live or the Digitech GNX3000. I've heard really good things about the dynamics on the Digitech unit.

I edit patches on the computer due to the ease of use factor, so the Boss GT8 is out of the question.

I play through a full range amp and speaker combo.

Thanks.

• Members

Originally posted by JD0441

Hello folks,

I've been using a Johnson J-Station for what seems like forever.

And I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade to the newer units, particularly the Pod XT Live or the Digitech GNX3000. I've heard really good things about the dynamics on the Digitech unit.

I edit patches on the computer due to the ease of use factor, so the Boss GT8 is out of the question.

I play through a full range amp and speaker combo.

Thanks.

Hmmm, well I've never used the units you mentioned, I don't know of any unit that has as good of a computer based patch editor than the J-Station.

I recently ditched my J-Station for a Vox DA5 portable amp for practicing with headphones and DI recording. Can't save patches, but I use it with my other effects so that isn't a problem, and I find it works better withy my fuzz and OD pedals than the J-Station did.

Anyways, what is wrong with the J-Station? Is it not delivering what you need, or do you simply want to see if there's something a lot better out there?

I would check out some of the Vox Tonelab floor units. Judging from this little amp, they know what they're doing with those. I've heard nothing but good things about Vox's full size modelling amps and those floor units look pretty cool, plus they're hybrid solid state/tube units.

• Members

Hmmm, worthwile upgrading.....??? that's always a difficult question to answer.

I personally wasn't impressed with the dynamics of the gnx3000 and it has a bit of the same sound even you select different amps. As i recall the chorus on j-station was very fine, better imo than the boxes you want that also counts for the pitchshifter (a bit slow but very good).

I suggest to checkout the new zoom g-serie.

• Members

Depends on how you are using it. I have two J-Stations that I run in stereo set to the Blackface model with no effects. I just use them for the clean amp sim. They take pedals better than any other modeler out there and I have tried just about every one of them and own a bunch of them as well.

While the Digitech GNX units are supposed to be the next generation J-Station, I don't find that to be accurate at all and do not like the GNX units.

My vote if you really want to upgrade would be the ToneLab. Great amp sims and the effects are very good as well. Boss has great effects but I still find the amp models to be dull. The POD is cool for an all in one.

• Members

Anyways, what is wrong with the J-Station? Is it not delivering what you need, or do you simply want to see if there's something a lot better out there?

This is basically it. There is nothign really wrong with it, it's just that I hear modelers have come a long way in a short period of time, so if the technology has improved I wouldn't mind upgrading.

Maybe if Vox released a Tonelab Part 2 I'll upgrade.

Thanks for curing my GAS.:D

• Members

The J-Station sounds about as good as any of the modelers, with the possible exception of the Vox ToneLab (using the tube helps pick dynamics).

If you're looking to upgrade, I would look at the Pod XT Live. It has the live use features the J-Station doesn't (footswiches, expression pedal), has the PC editing software you are looking for, and copied the J-Station's best feature - upgradable firmware. Line 6 has regular upgrades, and has a free application which makes upgrading very simple (Line 6 Monkey). There are also lots of sites with tons of patches, and Line 6's site has info (including videos and sound samples) and forums.

Also, the XT Live really works well with the Variax, not only powering it, but allowing you to change guitar models as well as amp models and effects all by switching one patch.

Archived