What makes a good album cover?

Vince

• Members

Listening to them, they sound fairly pop-rock. I'd say something with 2 or 3 colors but lots of detail, sorta like their logo. Maybe something close to this:
womandisc1.jpg
or a little like this with their pictures or something:
oldworldunderground.jpg

As for what I'm into: I like a lot of detail, usually an image that's been altered a little bit, or maybe not at all, but just not something you'd see every day. I like something familiar with a twist.
inertiatic.jpg
GSL96.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by varialbender

Listening to them, they sound fairly pop-rock. I'd say something with 2 or 3 colors but lots of detail, sorta like their logo. Maybe something close to this:

womandisc1.jpg
or a little like this with their pictures or something:

oldworldunderground.jpg

Hmm... good ideas man - thanks. As for the Mars Volta stuff, that's all done by Storm Thorgerson the same guy who did the Pink Floyd and some Led Zep stuff amongst others.

• Members

I know there's good art still out there, but it just doesn't seem like album covers have the power they once had
Now that everyone's downloading it's going to get worse

there are so many great album covers though
without spending a lot of time thinking of my favorites, this one popped into my head:

whosnext.jpg

• 5 years later...
  • Members

john frusciante's Empyrean cover is pretty cool imo:

the_empyrean_cover.jpg

i really like the grateful dead's american beauty cover too - featuring an ambigram :eek:

American+Beauty.jpg

Beatles' Sgt Pepper is sweet too.

must be tough to design a solid album cover. i think it as just as much to do with the music that is on the album as it does with the art on the cover :idk: an album cover can vary from being super simple, like the Beatles White album, to their Sgt Pepper album that has so much going on and trippy {censored}, to their iconic Abbey Road album

• Members

Beatles' Sgt Pepper is sweet too.

must be tough to design a solid album cover. i think it as just as much to do with the music that is on the album as it does with the art on the cover
:idk:
an album cover can vary from being super simple, like the Beatles White album, to their Sgt Pepper album that has so much going on and trippy {censored}, to their iconic Abbey Road album

i think Sgt. Pepper's is an obvious, but no less genius example of how album cover art should be. It evokes the mood of the music, which is all about characters, nostalgia, intricate details, and whimsy. At the same time, it is eye-catching and iconic.

As for The White album and Abbey Road? IMO they are clever and iconic, but not my favorites by any stretch.

• Members

All good points, and I agree, but this doesn't help me when faced with designing a cover for a band! I'm a designer by trade (I work in advertising) so I know what I'm doing, but it's interesting that I'm stumped by this.

Do you just have to take a cool photo and whack the bands logo on, some kind of illustration or what? I know there is no step by step guide to design, so I'm just asking for the important or iconic elements that help!!!

Well there are points to consider when designing album covers, like have the band name at the top so it will be seen when flicking through a rack of CDs or albums in a record shop, that are kinda obsolete now.

I think you just need to trust your gut to find an image or graphical layout that suits the band and the music. I really like the illustrative style of stuff like the above My Morning Jacket cover, and stuff found at places like http://eatsleepdraw.com/. I have a couple of friends who've hired illustrators to create images for their covers & gig posters, I think it can work really well.

EDIT: wow, old thread is old! :eek:

Archived