Do you like 10" speakers?

papa taco

• Members

I have a love/hate relationship with the 10" alnicos in my blue angel 2x10. They sound great at low to medium volumes, I like the more immediate attack of 10" speakers especially when using a fuzz or distortion. At high volumes, they crap out though. I'm considering getting another pair of 10's for the blue angel. Not sure what though. I do like the basic character of 10's though, I'm thinking a 4x10 cab would be cool. Either semi-open back like a dr z 4x10 or sealed cab like an old Marshall 1965.

You likey the 10" speakers, bitch?

• Members

I have two amps w/ 10's. One's a Musicman 210, and the other is a 70's Bassman Ten w/ 4 10's. The bassman sounds great as long as it's loud, real deep and heavy, and the breakup is very organic sounding. It's got a closed back. The musicman sounds good at lower to medium volumes, but when it gets real loud it loses a lot of the low end, and get's real bright, and midrangey sounding. It's an open back. Both have stock speakers, so that may have something to do w/ it. A friend has a Super Reverb, 4 10's open back, and it sounds great loud and soft. Real full sound, lot's of low end. So, I think ten's are fine, but you need four. 2 might not be enough. The best would probably be 2 10's and a 12 or 15. That would be the ticket.

• Members

I like them when I carrying my cab around but 12" just give me more seperation when I play...I am hybrid picker and I like to get a clearly defined bass line going with the lower register whilst the upper and mids are doing their own thing. When I do this with 10's it sounds kinda cramped compared to the 12's or even a 15's.

• Members

Originally posted by Coach

I feel the same, good at medium volumes but crap out at band levels. I love the sound of 10" speakers but cannot deal with how they act cranked.

I imagine higher wattage 10's would work better than my eminence alnicos. They're 15 or 20 watts each and pushed with 4xel84's that are distorting, they crunch up a lot. Boost that and they can't take it.

4 of them in a sealed cab would probably be great though. Or 4 higher wattage in an open cab (a la dr z 4x10 with 260 watts handling capabilities).

:)

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

TAco, while we are on speakers (which makes me think of your Kingsley), I was listening to the clips on his site yesterday....dude is a great player and plays lots of styles too. Have you seen him live.

I haven't seen Simon live, but I've visited his shop a few times and he's played for me. Yeah, he's so good it's sick. He's got a really nice 63 or 64 strat. I remember I asked him, "Hey that's a sweet guitar, is that a 61 RI strat?" He was like, "umm, no it's a vintage 64." Haha.

I was totally going to get a Deluxe 30 but his prices have gone up, and although it is probably the nicest amp I've played, I just can't afford one right now.

So I've got a Hayseed coming. They Hayseed isn't ready yet, by the way, I misinterpreted an email Rob of Valvetech sent me. DOH! I imagine it will be done in the next couple of weeks though.

taco

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

I was totally going to get a Deluxe 30 but his prices have gone up, and although it is probably the nicest amp I've played, I just can't afford one right now.

taco

Gear page coverage = price increase. His amps sound great but I was suspect of how much of that is his playing....good to hear that average guy can get the tone too. Probably good investment amps too.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

Gear page coverage = price increase. His amps sound great but I was suspect of how much of that is his playing....good to hear that average guy can get the tone too. Probably good investment amps too.

The feel of the Deluxe 30 and the excellent eq are winners. Time flies by when you play that thing. I loved the cleans. Vox-like chime, but smoother and warmer.

• Members

Originally posted by amoodymule

I've got 4-10 inchers and ...

I like this cab better than the 2-12"... I still use them together for most shows

Tell me about your marshall 4x10 cab

I haven't ever been able to definitively date mine

I can't even remember what year I narrowed it down to

what speakers are in it?

I've been thinking about getting a 2x12 instead for a long time

here's mine:

102_02322.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

You hit the big 2500, bitch.

:)

yes but i actually hit that long ago (and im proud of hitting "that":D ) but you know what happened with the post count reset

i hit alot of other numbers too but have no proof. when i tell people "yeah i hit that" they look at me like they dont believe it or something :confused:

• Members

I had an upper and lower set like that. I bought it new in 1984. Had celestions of some kind in the cabs. Paired with my mosfet head and a RAT, they were really nice and tight for that '80's stuff.

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

what speakers are in it?

here's mine:

102_02322.jpg

• Members

I much prefer 10's for their attack, responsiveness and punch over 12's. Alas there are a lot of 10's the market which are truly gutless.

The key is to get ones with big juicy magnets and power rastings that can hold up under loud conditions without losing bass definition or responsivenss. These kinds of 10's are usually too heavy for a 410 combo unless you're Popeye.

• Members

I'm not sure.

My tweed bassman clone originally had 4 10s. They broke up a little to much for me at anything above conversational volume, i eventually toasted a couple of them (they were reissue jensens and i don't usually play very loud).

Now i have a 2x12 cab that sounds great loud and quiet (eminence speakers).

Come to think of it, when i had a Celestion blue in my old ported single 12 cab it sounded better than the Weber blue pup in it's cab. I do like to hear the low end though...

• Members

I've been using a half-open four-ten cab for about twelve years now.

Since I prefer warmer tones, going back to twelves isn't going to happen (in my band rig) again.

I'll use 8's, 10's, 12's, or 15's for recording, though.

Have to serve the song instead of my ego, after all.

• Members

Originally posted by gr8fuldodd

what speakers are in it?

here's mine:

102_02322.jpg

Year?, I got them used, I do know they have celestions, and I got both cabs seperately, here's mine:

Archived