semi-OT: TWIN Tube help...

• Members

alas, the Twin is here !!

i'm going to run, but when i get back i'm going to test my might at putting the tubes in.

some of the stuff bluesmang already explained, but

do you guys have any tips?

is there any particular order i have to put them in ?

this amp is gorgeous.

mmm.

beautiful.

• Members

yeah its a 72 w/ master volume.
i was kind of scared about the notion of MV b/c i didn't want it breaking up too early, but i'm not so worried right now...
might be a good thing.
plus bluesmang sent me this regarding the tubes-
makes sense right?
i'm about to try putting them in:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Man, I'm glad it arrived okay. That was my biggest worry, even though I packed the hell out of it. As for the tubes, the large GT power tubes go in the first 4 slots from the left (looking at the back of the amp). Doesn't matter the order since they are a matched quad. Just line up the pins and push 'em in. Next is the preamp tubes. The tube holders just rotate and pull off. So, looking at the back again, the RCA is going to go in the first slot to the right of the power tubes. Next one to put in is the reverb tube which goes in the slot that is 4th from the power tubes or 3 from the right. It's the only tube that is a Fender tube. The one tube that has a silver bottom and not labeled (it is an EH, btw) goes in the first slot from the right. The just fill in the rest of the slots with the remaining EH tubes. Then plug in your guitar, set your controls, flip on the power switch and then the standby and rock out! Yeah, the amp is in pretty good condition despite it's age. I replaced the grill cloth with the blackface type silver/black. My Les Paul fell over at a gig and the tuning keys tore right through the original grill cloth. Any questions, just let me know.

Brian

• Members

sure enough "geez man, turn it down !!!!"
---------------------------------------------------
ok, i'm going back to play in a second, but here's what i got so far- using my other roomate's ancient Epiphone Sheraton...

1) sounds BRILLIANT. lush. chimey and smooth.
this amp sounds like i think an amp should.

2) the reverb and 'vibrato' are great too. i probably won't use them too often, but great sounding. great.

now funny thing:
not near as loud as i expected. loud, can even get LOUD, but can't getLOUD.
at least not yet. doesn't SEEM as loud as my sovtek w/ its 4x12", but it might have something to do with the 4x12" cab.
i've got the channel volume right around 8 to 10, and the master around 7 and its fine, but for gig volumes... my only fear is that it won't be loud enough for OUR gigs...
but i'll try it w/ my 4x12" tomorrow, as it pushes a 4ohm load and thats what my cab rating is.

going back to play, b/c it sounds brilliant.
definitely makes me want to pursue a dual showman pretty soon. pretty darn soon.

so thus far:

slightly worried about how it'll fare with volume, and wonder if its the tubes or the wrong version of Twin or whatever, but on the super-plus side is that this amp sounds divine.

• Members
Originally posted by preservation

sure enough "geez man, turn it down !!!!"

---------------------------------------------------

ok, i'm going back to play in a second, but here's what i got so far- using my other roomate's ancient Epiphone Sheraton...

1) sounds BRILLIANT. lush. chimey and smooth.

this amp sounds like i think an amp should.

2) the reverb and 'vibrato' are great too. i probably won't use them too often, but great sounding. great.

now funny thing:

not near as loud as i expected. loud, can even get LOUD, but can't get
LOUD

at least not yet. doesn't SEEM as loud as my sovtek w/ its 4x12", but it might have something to do with the 4x12" cab.

i've got the channel volume right around 8 to 10, and the master around 7 and its fine, but for gig volumes... my only fear is that it won't be loud enough for OUR gigs...

but i'll try it w/ my 4x12" tomorrow, as it pushes a 4ohm load and thats what my cab rating is.

going back to play, b/c it sounds brilliant.

definitely makes me want to pursue a dual showman pretty soon. pretty darn soon.

so thus far:

slightly worried about how it'll fare with volume, and wonder if its the tubes or the wrong version of Twin or whatever, but on the super-plus side is that this amp sounds divine.

Wow, I just played a show last friday, in a pretty big place(old 50's ballroom), we were'nt running the amps through the PA, and I never had it past 3. Mine doesn't have the MV anymore, but it's the same year, just BF modded. Does the MV make that much of a difference in volume, cause mine is farking LOUD!!! Glad you like it. I felt the same way when I first plugged into mine. That is what it's supposed to sound like.:thu:

• Members

well this thing sounds amazing. flat out.
had the vibrato channel volume on about 6/7 and master at 7.
wouldn't wanna go too far past that, but phew.
i put it on one side of the the drum kit and had it going through my avatar 4x12".
HUGE.

i think i'll stick with that setup and either trade my sovtek for an ampeg v4 or fender dual showman...or simply get another ext. cab or 2.

this amp is amazing.

• Members

Glad it's working out for you. I used it through a Fender Roc Pro 4x12 cab for many gigs which totally brought out some bottom end. I just hope you have a roadie to help you haul the 2 around. No more busted nut for me. I'll stick to my 1x12 combo.

• Members

eh, its not *THAT* heavy.;)

but check this out-
thinking about getting another/different cab for it-

i've been using my 4ohm Avatar 4x12" cab w/ Eminences as an ext. for the Twin,
but i'm noticing it doesn't seem to push nearly as loud as when my sovtek is plugged into it---- the twin says it carry's a 4ohm load... but when they're both hooked up (the Twin pushing the 4x12")
the Twin DEFINITELY overpowers the 4x12", which i can hardly believe.

any ideas?

also, what would be a great Avatar 2x12"
to use with the Twin ?

• Members
Originally posted by preservation

eh, its not *THAT* heavy.
;)

...and it's not THAT loud?! :confused:

Are you sure it's a Fender Twin he's sent you, or has rock music destroyed your head?

;)

Glad you like it. I was a Twin man for several years, but the damn thing was just too big and too heavy. Now I can justify two amps :D

Archived