Need computer advice...

inscho

• Members
Originally posted by kevorkazito

the hardware could certainly handle it...

I would recommend the Apple platform though:

apple computer

I'm running a studio of an old circa 1996 Apple... it refuses to die and it runs my software (Logic Audio) flawlessly...

Good Luck in your quest for recording... it took me awhile and lots of help from my friends.

too much for me :( I only have 300 extra bucks for the next 3 months.

Am I understanding right that all I would need in addition to item in the auction is a monitor and an OS?

I was looking into the AMD because I believe they are suppose to be easy to upgrade?

• Members

AMD is cheaper, and generally speaking, seems to be ahead of the processor pack right now.

However, the nForce4 Chipset, which will be on any modern AMD motherboard, can be somewhat unstable at times.

If you are on an extreme budget, allow me to recommend my option as far as recording goes - I use an ASIO 2.0 compliant soundcard, and run DI into my PC. I do all my FX Processing using Chainer, which allows me to run VST FX in a chain live. I use the GSuite amp/pedal sim package, plus some Voxengo free sims, and some others (Fuzzbox VST, Wunderverb). I use Chainer to record guitar clips played to my backing tracks (played in Cooledit), and then put them in the multitrack setup. You could use Audacity if you don't want to spend any money at all on recording, but I'd recommend picking up Cooledit Pro 1.2. You can usually find it for about 40 bucks or less, and it is a great, versatile program.

All this will cost you is the price of a PC (my current machine is an AMD Athlon XP 2ghz+ with 768 MB ram, and onboard nForce2 chipset audio for recording) with a decent ASIO 2.0 soundcard and Windows, as well as the cost for Cooledit or whatever software you want to use.

Sure, it isn't the prettiest setup in the world, but it works. You can hear my guitar recordings @ http://sound.the-engine.org/csml (listen to "Tone Poem for Janaina", "Tone Poem for Jackie", and "Love Theme" for examples of the tone I get with this setup).

*edit* I advise strongly against buying PCs on eBay. Good way to get screwed, trust me - and that machine is no steal.

• Members

Intel would be the choice for most for recording

AMD is certainly up there now with there latest line of processors and I will actually be switching to them in the next month or so when i rebuild my PC.

More RAM on that system you will definetley want, If your serious about it get at least 2gigs of RAM , and 15k raptor HD

• Members
Originally posted by Thrash123

AMD is cheaper, and generally speaking, seems to be ahead of the processor pack right now.

However, the nForce4 Chipset, which will be on any modern AMD motherboard, can be somewhat unstable at times.

If you are on an extreme budget, allow me to recommend my option as far as recording goes - I use an ASIO 2.0 compliant soundcard, and run DI into my PC. I do all my FX Processing using Chainer, which allows me to run VST FX in a chain live. I use the GSuite amp/pedal sim package, plus some Voxengo free sims, and some others (Fuzzbox VST, Wunderverb). I use Chainer to record guitar clips played to my backing tracks (played in Cooledit), and then put them in the multitrack setup. You could use Audacity if you don't want to spend any money at all on recording, but I'd recommend picking up Cooledit Pro 1.2. You can usually find it for about 40 bucks or less, and it is a great, versatile program.

All this will cost you is the price of a PC (my current machine is an AMD Athlon XP 2ghz+ with 768 MB ram, and onboard nForce2 chipset audio for recording) with a decent ASIO 2.0 soundcard and Windows, as well as the cost for Cooledit or whatever software you want to use.

Sure, it isn't the prettiest setup in the world, but it works. You can hear my guitar recordings @
http://sound.the-engine.org/csml
(listen to "Tone Poem for Janaina", "Tone Poem for Jackie", and "Love Theme" for examples of the tone I get with this setup).

*edit* I advise strongly against buying PCs on eBay. Good way to get screwed, trust me - and that machine is no steal.

Where else can I find a tower similar to this on the web for the same price? I have been looking around and haven't found any. I already have a m-audio firewire solo recording pre, all the recording software, and I have a monitor. This seemed like the way to go since I only have $300. But if you can show me another option I am definitely open to other options.

thanks for your reply! :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by Junkhead

Intel would be the choice for most for recording

AMD is certainly up there now with there latest line of processors and I will actually be switching to them in the next month or so when i rebuild my PC.

More RAM on that system you will definetley want, If your serious about it get at least 2gigs of RAM , and 15k raptor HD

I will probably upgrade to a gig of ram when I get some extra money, right now I can almost do what I need with my laptop and i think it only has 256 ram lol. But the cost to upgrade it, is about the same as buying a new computer :(

• Members

That is the thing - you don't want a tower similar to that. The RAM is more than likely unreliable, I have never even HEARD of the motherboard manufacturer, and I'm sure the case is going to blow for recording (assuming it has fans :)).

I'd almost go as far as to suggesting you buy a low budget Dell over that machine - hit Dealnews.com and watch for PC deals. I've seen desktop machines go really cheap there. You'll just need to make sure the RAM is upgradable, and that you'll have room for another harddrive (recording takes up a lot of space - I have about a terrabyte of storage right now :)).

• Members
Originally posted by Thrash123

That is the thing - you don't want a tower similar to that. The RAM is more than likely unreliable, I have never even HEARD of the motherboard manufacturer, and I'm sure the case is going to blow for recording (assuming it has fans
:)
).

I'd almost go as far as to suggesting you buy a low budget Dell over that machine - hit Dealnews.com and watch for PC deals. I've seen desktop machines go really cheap there. You'll just need to make sure the RAM is upgradable, and that you'll have room for another harddrive (recording takes up a lot of space - I have about a terrabyte of storage right now
:)
).

oh ok, I will take a look into that website, thanks for the information :thu:

• Members

Ever though of building your own computer?

Just to warn you, that eBay one doesn't come with an operating system. Windows XP costs about $200 in stores or $85 for the OEM version.

Here's what I would get:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ - $109
G. SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR - $66.25 Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB SATA - $89
Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS Micro ATX - $54
BenQ 16X DVD+-R Burner - $35.99
APEX MicroATX Mid Tower - $36.50
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2 - $89

Grand Total: $479.74 + Shipping

So you end up spending a bit more than originally planned, but you have some really nice components and you get exactly what you need.

Granted, you still need to add a sound card, but you'd have to do that anyway.

• Members
Originally posted by inscho

Well I just bought a Dell B110 2.53 Ghz 533 FSB, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb Hard Drive, 16x CDRW DVDRW w/ 17" flat planel for $435.92 after tax
:thu:

why the hell did you buy that?. You could have spent $435 and just replaced the mobo and cpu in your computer and would have had a PC 10x as fast at that. Dont plan on doing much multitasking and recording on that machine, Especially with the 533mhz bus. I have the 3.0C/800FSB and its still not great at recording.:cry: :cry:

Archived