Soundgarden on an old SNL repeat tonight... i want the 90's back, and i want it now.

zachary vex

• Members

Originally posted by afxwinter

I'd love to play a couple Soundgarden tracks every once in awhile but I HATE tuning my guitar all crazy like that. Makes me wish I had a dedicated Soundgarden-tuned guitar. Any affordable suggestions? I think Chris played an SG or a LP, no idea what pickups though.

Actually on the last two albums, there are a surprising number of single coil guitars on them. Lots of telecaster and Chris also used a Gretsch Duo Jet a bit on there.

I just wandered into a semi-local music store I'd never been to a couple of weeks ago and happaned to find a tab book for "Down on the Upside" so I've been playing those tracks a lot lately. The second tab book I ever bought was for "Superunknown" that I bought when I was first starting out about 10 years ago. They're a big reason that I wanted to learn to play.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same here man I still own that Superunknown book. Still hate having to tune my guitar like that though. Might get myself one of those Agile LP's for alternate tunings, unless I ever see a cheap telecaster. =)

Originally posted by saturdaysaviour

Actually on the last two albums, there are a surprising number of single coil guitars on them. Lots of telecaster and Chris also used a Gretsch Duo Jet a bit on there.

I just wandered into a semi-local music store I'd never been to a couple of weeks ago and happaned to find a tab book for "Down on the Upside" so I've been playing those tracks a lot lately. The second tab book I ever bought was for "Superunknown" that I bought when I was first starting out about 10 years ago. They're a big reason that I wanted to learn to play.

• Members

I had the pleasure of seeing SG on the Louder than Love tour AND their last tour, and Cornell's pipes were on the money both times. They are definately a "mix tape" band in retrospect--great tracks scattered throughout their many albums, but I sure miss Thayil's guitar playing and the hot rhythm section!
Badmotorfinger is still one of the best hard rock albums ever!
And don't dis the whole decade, that is just ridiculous! Delve deep and you'll find lots of good {censored} that missed the music exec's crappy ears!

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I definitely miss the music of the 90's.

I agree like one said, the 90's were a sequel to the 60's. It was all part of the cycle where it was ok to be creative again and to give the party music a rest 70's and 80's).

So many talented bands writing great songs with meaningful lyrics and still managing to rock out.

Rage, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Tool, Jesus Lizard, Melvins, Primus......damn all those bands were great.

And yes there were great guitarists then. Whoever said that it was the end of guitar is full of {censored}. Duane Denison is amazing. Kim Thayil, Trey Spruance, so many.

Oh well..now everything's ruined.

• Members

Originally posted by DonaldDemon

I definitely miss the music of the 90's.

Rage, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Mr. Bungle, Faith No More, Tool, Jesus Lizard, Melvins, Primus......damn all those bands were great.

Pumpkins, Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt/Wilco, Sonny Landreth, Black Crowes, Buena Vista Social Club, Matthew Sweet, Junior Brown, etc, etc, etc...

What the hell happened anyway? It can't all be Britney's fault, can it..?

• Members

Must agree on the 90's kicking ass, particularly the first half of the decade. The whole Seattle scene certainly broke new ground and led music out of the hairband doldrums of the 80's. Finally some creativity, ironic and meaningful lyrics and no more mindless wanking, puffy hair and make-up. Unfortunately lots of those killer 90's bands had short shelf lives and spawned countless forgettable copycat bands like silverchair, bush...a lineage that survives today with seether, 3 days grace...etc...but when I first heard nevermind it was nirvana!!! (pun intended)

• Members

Originally posted by vinylphile

Must agree on the 90's kicking ass, particularly the first half of the decade.

hell yeah, the first half of the decade was awesome

What strikes me as really cool about that era...is the relative un-pretentiousness of the bands

they just really looked like normal guys on stage and NOT rock stars

check out a lot of live videos on youtube of the different bands...not a lot of posing going on...contrast that to the late nineties and early 2000s

• Members
Originally posted by erksin

Pumpkins, Uncle Tupelo/Son Volt/Wilco, Sonny Landreth, Black Crowes, Buena Vista Social Club, Matthew Sweet, Junior Brown, etc, etc, etc...

What the hell happened anyway? It can't all be Britney's fault, can it..?

The BIG labels got tired of rebels without a clue jerkin' off their angst all over everyone, including the labels themselves...Sooo, they decided to go in a different direction.

That direction was to hype/promote/exploit HipHop rappers and wannabe divas, effectively promoting them to suburban white trash as the "New Rebellion".

Talent be damned :evil::freak::wave:

• Members
Originally posted by TaZMaNiO

The BIG labels got tired of rebels without a clue jerkin' off their angst all over everyone, including the labels themselves...Sooo, they decided to go in a different direction.

That direction was to hype/promote/exploit HipHop rappers and wannabe divas, effectively promoting them to suburban white trash as the "New Rebellion".

Talent be damned
:evil::freak::wave:

Bingo!
Now, what are we guitarists gonna do to turn the tide
?

• Members
Originally posted by tocs100

Bingo!

Now, what are we guitarists gonna do to turn the tide

?

Guitarists? :freak:

LOL, most of the "Music-Gear Consumers" on HC are happy to obsess on gear, crack jokes & spam the forums...

There is a BIG niche for a entrepreneur that isn't interested in following the status qou BIG label pablum being spewed as "music".

:wave:

Archived