Soundgarden on an old SNL repeat tonight... i want the 90's back, and i want it now.

zachary vex

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw soundgarden open for guns and roses and faith no more in 1992. I was 13 and living in budapest, hungary. I went to see faith no more (who were awesome btw). I thought soundgarden blew big time, an incoherent mess topped by one of the most screechy lameass voices of all time. It bummed me out so bad that they didn't crash and burn and I had to hear that crap on the radio years later. Just saying not everyone remembers this period of music with fondness, I spent the 90's feeling very alienated from the musc scene until around '95-7 or so.

• Members
Originally posted by NanookRubsIt

I was lucky enough to see them many many times in the 90's
:D
First time I saw them was in 89 on the lounder than love tour, opening for the band VOI VOD !!

I was a big time Voi Vod fan and I remember a friend telling me to get there early and not to miss the opening act. Glad I didn't miss it! I was blown away..it was like Zep meets Sabbath. About 6 months later Badmotorfinger came out and they came back 4 times to atlanta on that tour! I got to see all of those shows...then they played bigger and bigger shows...the Fox Theater and finally at the Omni. But IMHO the best 90's band was Nirvana. I got to see them twice (once in a small club) I pulled out In Utero the other day...man they don't make rock records like that anymore.
:cool:

In Utero is a ragged and beautiful monument to the alternative scene. That album kicks ass.

• Members

I'd love to play a couple Soundgarden tracks every once in awhile but I HATE tuning my guitar all crazy like that. Makes me wish I had a dedicated Soundgarden-tuned guitar. Any affordable suggestions? I think Chris played an SG or a LP, no idea what pickups though.

• Members
Originally posted by afxwinter

I'd love to play a couple Soundgarden tracks every once in awhile but I HATE tuning my guitar all crazy like that. Makes me wish I had a dedicated Soundgarden-tuned guitar. Any affordable suggestions? I think Chris played an SG or a LP, no idea what pickups though.

Sounds like an Agile to me...

valkyrieiiihc1.jpg

al2000hc1a.jpg

• Members

Someone mentioned Jesus Lizard. Anyone who says nobody knew how to play guitar in the 90's hasn't considered Duane Denison. He's got his degree in Classical Guitar and did master classes with Christopher Parkening.

That guy is the goods. We had the pleasure of opening for Bobby Bare Jr. With Duane in the band playing indie-country! I'm pretty sure he could play just about anything. He's a class individual, great chops, great dude.

To keep this on topic, his rig was ES-135->Fender Vibro King with a GForce in the loop

• Members

Originally posted by zachary vex

{censored}ing alt-rock was the best rock since 1969. i swear these guys are almost as powerful as Zep. what a {censored}ing drummer.

listen and watch a piece of 1996 for yourself:

Amazing how we took it for granted at the time.

91-94 produced some awesome music.

Things were definitely on the decline by '95 though.

• Members

FINALLY, people who like the 90's! I love you all. I've been in a grungy rock band for so long.. we just stayed dedicated to that era, 'cause that's our favorite type of music. It's no Soundgarden (and I'm definitely no Matt Cameron :( ) but check it out. Some of you may like it. :)

http://www.myspace.com/thepitstn

You'll have to excuse the mediocre recordings, though. :( Should have new ones up this summer.

• Members

mmm, soundgarden - i used to be a big fan, and i still like them, but the more i discovered various, usually indie music, the less i liked soundgarden. first EP is still my favourite thing they put out. "nothing to say", anyone? :D i liked that they we're so raw, sometimes almost like the stooges. almost. then, on superunknown, they started to write pop songs, and while the songwriting was great most of the time (black hole sun and blow up the outside world are beautiful! songs) it just sounded a little bit silly. trying to write a beatlesesque song while cornell acting soooo macho and the rest of the band being hard rock, almost metal and all that. i don't know, but it came out pretentious.

the 90's were great because a lot of new things happened, music changed A LOT from 1991 to 2000. but i'm not sure if all that music still sound as good as 10 years ago.

• Members

I'd much rather listen to some Melvins or Nirvana or ANYTHING from that timeperiod than most of the crap that's on the radio these days. It's far more meaningful and important. Seems like most of the bands making it now are either just goofy indie bands or six guys getting together on stage and whining about losing their girlfriends. I don't really care if grunge is dead. :)

• Members

I have been listening to this videoclip for a long while, and it makes me really wish I had the original tape. I hate that high pitch whistling sound on it.

Or if anybody has a better copy of the video for BINMH, that would be awesome.

Got to love Soundgarden.

Archived