Soundgarden on an old SNL repeat tonight... i want the 90's back, and i want it now.

zachary vex

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was lucky enough to see them many many times in the 90's :D First time I saw them was in 89 on the lounder than love tour, opening for the band VOI VOD !!
I was a big time Voi Vod fan and I remember a friend telling me to get there early and not to miss the opening act. Glad I didn't miss it! I was blown away..it was like Zep meets Sabbath. About 6 months later Badmotorfinger came out and they came back 4 times to atlanta on that tour! I got to see all of those shows...then they played bigger and bigger shows...the Fox Theater and finally at the Omni. But IMHO the best 90's band was Nirvana. I got to see them twice (once in a small club) I pulled out In Utero the other day...man they don't make rock records like that anymore. :cool:

• Members

I'm so confused. The 90's was the decade that guitar playing died... And it's getting love in this forum, of all places? It's hard to find an example of anyone from that era who can string together more than a couple of notes. I like solos; the '90s didn't.

:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by 18watt

I'm so confused. The 90's was the decade that guitar playing died... And it's getting love in this forum, of all places? It's hard to find an example of anyone from that era who can string together more than a couple of notes. I like solos; the '90s didn't.

:confused:

what in god's name were you listening to?

• Members
Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!

what in god's name were you listening to?

Apparently something other than the rest of you! ;)

To me, the '90s was all about sloppy, atonal grunge and a backlash against "hair bands", shred and the like. Not that I'm comparing the styles, but certainly the amazing musicianship of the '70s and '80s was being spurned...

I'd have thought in an effects forum, we'd be all about more guitar, rather than less.

Soundgarden was probably the best of the bunch, though.

• Members

Apparently something other than the rest of you!
;)

To me, the '90s was all about sloppy, atonal grunge and a backlash against "hair bands", shred and the like. Not that I'm comparing the styles, but certainly the amazing musicianship of the '70s and '80s was being spurned...

I'd have thought in an effects forum, we'd be all about more guitar, rather than less.

Soundgarden was probably the best of the bunch, though.

that was what nirvana was about. soundgarden and alice in chains certainly weren't. for me, the 90s were more about Aerosmith, GNR (at least the early 90s), the Black Crowes, Gov't Mule, Brian Setzer, Metallica, Faith No More, and a billion other bands.

• Members

that was what nirvana was about. soundgarden and alice in chains certainly weren't. for me, the 90s were more about Aerosmith, GNR (at least the early 90s), the Black Crowes, Gov't Mule, Brian Setzer, Metallica, Faith No More, and a billion other bands.

OK, now you're digging up some stuff I'd forgotten! I guess some of those were early '90s rather than late '80s, weren't they? FNM, AIC, White Zombie, Nymphs, Daisy Chainsaw... Hmmm. Thing is, I was living in London at the time, and it wasn't very much later that you couldn't take a step without tripping over a DJ. Between dance music and grunge, it certainly felt like the party was coming to an end awfully fast.

Thanks for the reminder!

• Members

OK, now you're digging up some stuff I'd forgotten! I guess some of those were early '90s rather than late '80s, weren't they? FNM, AIC, White Zombie, Nymphs, Daisy Chainsaw... Hmmm. Thing is, I was living in London at the time, and it wasn't very much later that you couldn't take a step without tripping over a DJ. Between dance music and grunge, it certainly felt like the party was coming to an end awfully fast.

Thanks for the reminder!

i have about 350 albums from the 90s. IMO, anybody who says there was nothing good then wasn't even trying. the same can be said for today's music scene. you could drown in the sheer number of albums that come out each week. it doesn't take much to look for it, just a copy of Ice Magazine.

• Members

Seattle makes for some really great rock music. Yay Heart! Some sublime guitar playing on these albums.

I remember seeing this performance thinking I wish SNL hadn't hired a bunch of Full Sail engineers to try to mix a rock band. Though it sounds better in retrospect. Probably the last great band performance on SNL.

• Members

i have about 350 albums from the 90s. IMO, anybody who says there was nothing good then wasn't even trying. the same can be said for today's music scene. you could drown in the sheer number of albums that come out each week. it doesn't take much to look for it, just a copy of Ice Magazine.

yeah, anyone who claims that nothing good happened in the [enter decade here] is most likely referring to what happened to be in the top 40 at the time and/or a type of music that person isn't into anyway.

Originally posted by zachary vex

{censored}ing alt-rock was the best rock since 1969. i swear these guys are almost as powerful as Zep. what a {censored}ing drummer.

listen and watch a piece of 1996 for yourself:

i was just discussing last night how the 90's were like a sequel to the 60's. if you think how diverse music was in '69 it's astonishing-- Abbey Road, Hendrix, VU, Sabbath, New Yardbirds, CCR, etc. the 90's had a similar explosion of diversity--grunge, shogazer, Portishead, Tortoise and chicago art rock, slowcore/sadcore, post-rock, etc. what's also noticeable is that the good stuff was visible--unlike the 80's when a lot of it went under the radar. (i'd argue that we're currently in a sequel to the 80's--and not just because of bands like Interpol.)

a friend that i was discussing it with attributes the 2 golden ages (60's and 90's) to technological advances--affordable electric instruments in hte 60's and affordable electronic instruments in the 90's. being somewhat of a McLuhanite, i might have to agree.

• Members

Thanks for the good clips, always liked Pretty Noose. Soundgarden were a band that had one really great album(Superunknown) and two that were just good with some outstanding tracks(Badmotorfinger, Down on the Upside). I have Louder Than Love as well which has Big Dumb Sex on it which is always good for a laugh. You can find good music in any decade in my opinion. 90's had Nirvana and compared to anyone else at that time I think In Utero era Nirvana made everyone else sound boring, they were just that good. They were almost as dangerous as the Stooges IMO. Anyone who doesn't think Kurt Cobain was a good guitar player is just missing the point of guitar playing IMO. The point is to sound good and be interesting and he did both as well as anyone at that time.

P.S. Zach just got a Fuzz Probe and it is great.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzup

Anyone who doesn't think Kurt Cobain was a good guitar player is just missing the point of guitar playing IMO. The point is to sound good and be interesting and he did both as well as anyone at that time.

Cobain did something ground-breaking, he combined a great sense of melody with thrashing punk power chords.

IMHO that was his strong suit and everything else he did was just "noise".

Too bad Kurt's life ended so abruptly & soon, it would have been nice to see him clean-up and take his strengths to higher levels than he had attained...

Archived