DIY pedalboards - advice?

• Members

What I'm thinking of doing is building my own pedalboard from plywood, carpet it, and make it sized to fit well in a keyboard gig bag. Any advice or pitfalls? Thinking about using something like the Radial Tonebone pedalboard for an inspiration.

Thanks to you guys and GAS, I've already outgrown the board I bought two weeks ago. :(

Pete

• Members

Sure Pete.....

I used a plywood/osb base - 1/2"

1x4 For the back - allows it to be raised & supported and also protects the pedals and cables from the dance floor.

1x3 for the right and left edge - again, supports the slope of the board and defines the sides - also allows handles to be placed.

Carpeted with automotive black carpet - cheap and accepts velcro perfectly. Painted sides black and trimmed with aluminum channel.

Also built a riser for a second level and placed the power underneath it. Wired a cord and mounted an outlet on the board - one cord unwrapped and a premade snake and I wired and playing in 5 minutes max.

I can forward some picks if you like

• Members

Originally posted by Lorax

Sure Pete.....

I used a plywood/osb base - 1/2"

1x4 For the back - allows it to be raised & supported and also protects the pedals and cables from the dance floor.

1x3 for the right and left edge - again, supports the slope of the board and defines the sides - also allows handles to be placed.

Carpeted with automotive black carpet - cheap and accepts velcro perfectly. Painted sides black and trimmed with aluminum channel.

Also built a riser for a second level and placed the power underneath it. Wired a cord and mounted an outlet on the board - one cord unwrapped and a premade snake and I wired and playing in 5 minutes max.

I can forward some picks if you like

Thanks man, would love to see what you did!

Pete

• Members

The black carpet loses some definition in these pics - I can work on some better ones if needed....

Underneath the riser is a "Pedal Power" unit and I mounted an electrical outlet - I bought bulk 16ga cord (25 ft) and wired the outlet to it and then wired an end and used hooks for wrapping the cable for transport. Thats the DIY part of this that puts it above anything else I could have bought.

You can see the 1x4 & 1x3 trim here....Just mitered the end of them for looks and used them to support the slope. 1x2's as "joists" underneath the board allowing me to screw them to the 1x3/1x4 for a "frame" and place the plywood on top of them and screw down - its solid and NOT heavy.

The riser is just a plywood 3 sided box - it doesnt need to be sloped as the sloping of the board creates the slope for the riser as well. I can take a pic of the bottom if you like which would show the frame/construction better.

Archived