boss pedals are so pedestrian

Ray18

• Members
Originally posted by shawnc

I dunno about that one. I love my TU-2 tuner and GE-7 Eq pedal, use them almost everyday without fail.

I just don't know how a boutique tuner would really improve my performace or tunning capabilities on stage.

There is no boutique tuner that I know of. There are more accurate pedal tuners than the Boss TU-2, such as the Korg DT-10. Being more accurate, it would make you more in tune, and improve you "tunning capabilities". But hey, you wouldn't want to stray from that uniform Boss look.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

There is no boutique tuner that I know of. There are more accurate pedal tuners than the Boss TU-2, such as the Korg DT-10. Being more accurate, it would make you more in tune, and improve you "tunning capabilities". But hey, you wouldn't want to stray from that uniform Boss look.

Well I guess the Peterson Strobe tuner could be considered Boutique?

I also bought my TU-2 before the DT-10 was even availale to the public. So I guess that makes me a "Conformist. And personally the TU-2 has more features that I use that are not available on the Korg. I guess with your argument I would need the Buzz feiten tuner with a buzz feiten guitar to get the best "tunning capabilities".

Cheers from a conformist. lol

P.S. I have a second Boss pedal it's called an EQ. Can I get a better Korg model to replace it Lol, just kidding.:wave::D

Actually I think I'll rehouse my TU-2 into a Dan Elctro pedal to get rid of my conformity lol :D

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Quite a lot of famous guitarists are getting more and more into boutiquers. I'm thinking that most people are just assuming that a big name guitarist uses Boss because of their ubiquitous nature and thus easy to replace, when it's probably more likely they just haven't tried any non-Boss pedals out first hand...too busy practicing.

I agree. It is hard to find a "new" guitar player with non-moded or booteek pedals on their board (like fulltone)

• Members

Hmmm...Boss. Most of the Boss pedals I'd like are no longer in production...like that damn vibrato. Oh well...the stupid part is that Boss pedals often cost more than 'boutique' gear here (when I buy the boutiquers from the US or locally made ones like MI Audio). Not Boss' fault but nonetheless, they're not worth buying here except 2nd hand, and even then.

Quite a lot of famous guitarists are getting more and more into boutiquers. I'm thinking that most people are just assuming that a big name guitarist uses Boss because of their ubiquitous nature and thus easy to replace, when it's probably more likely they just haven't tried any non-Boss pedals out first hand...too busy practicing.

I've tried most, and I still go back to my Boss.

esp the ones I have modded to sound just as "good" as boutique for half the price. :wave:

• Members

I generally prefer Ibanez and Maxon pedals, but Boss makes some nice pedals. They are popular and for good reason.

In general if you don't know what you are doing getting a boss pedal is a pretty good bet, there are lemons in their line, but generally most of their pedals are at least decent.

• Members
Originally posted by Pigsinzen

I've tried most, and I still go back to my Boss.

esp the ones I have modded to sound just as "good" as boutique for half the price.
:wave:

I guess that's the annoying thing. A lot of them are really good base pedals, but have a few minor flaws which require some modding to fix. Like the TR-2 for example. I realise Boss don't need to fix any pedal short comings (like noise, volume drops etc) due to their market dominance, but it would be a big bonus if they did.

I also suspect a lot of the really expensive boutiquers are easily matched if not surpassed by the Boss for performance and reliability.

• Members

BOSS = Awesome, when modded. DS-1 was the first pedal I ever modded (it was for a buddy on his birthday), and it gave me a rediculous cool distortion box for something like $42.50. Modded my GE-7, sounding better... modded OS-2, a little sweeter (much better than stock ice-pick).

And they are easy to mod - Almost fun! Even if you think BOSS suck stock, you will probably find that modded BOSS pedals can still own on your pedal board.

• Members

Originally posted by CicadaSilence

I've also got a Boss PS3 laying around, but only because people rave about it. Frankly, I'm pretty unimpressed, but I have this feeling that as soon as I get rid of it, I'll
get
it, and feel stupid for unloading it.

that exactly how i feel about my ps3

EDIT: mode 7 isn't all that hot either , the Magicstomp does the same thing, but better

• Members

Originally posted by StratAtak83

that exactly how i feel about my ps3

EDIT: mode 7 isn't all that hot either , the Magicstomp does the same thing, but better

The only thing I ever use mine for is making weird, glitchy delays on recordings (you can turn the time knob while the repeats are going, and it'll eat a portion of the delay), or a pseudo-organ sound that makes me wonder why the POG is three times the price of the PS3.

So many people seem to extoll the virtues of Mode 7, but I've never found a musical use for that sound.

• Members

I guess that's the annoying thing. A lot of them are really good base pedals, but have a few minor flaws which require some modding to fix. Like the TR-2 for example. I realise Boss don't
need
to fix any pedal short comings (like noise, volume drops etc) due to their market dominance, but it would be a big bonus if they did.

I also suspect a lot of the really expensive boutiquers are easily matched if not surpassed by the Boss for performance and reliability.

The REAL main difference between the two are part quality. The boutique stuff has better caps and such. Yeah it ticks me off that Roland doesn't put these parts in their product, but most people don't know any better.

That is my ONLY complaint with the Boss pedals.

The music store I go to always has returned Boss effects for CHEAP. I just grab them up, replace the crap parts, and I have a sturdy, "boutique" Boss pedal that sounds great.

For example. Bought my CS-3 Compressor used for $30. Payed about $20 in upgrade parts.

For $50 I got a compressor that can stand up with the best of em.

Archived