boss pedals are so pedestrian

Ray18

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by fusionid

There are more boss pedals on famous, sucessful guitar players pedalsboards than any other brandname...

no kidding, check out the "pedalboards of the stars" thread. seems to be more mass produced stuff than most forum guys. they didnt get famous by using booteek pedals, thats for sure...

• Members

Originally posted by b_man911

no kidding, check out the "pedalboards of the stars" thread. seems to be more mass produced stuff than most forum guys. they didnt get famous by using booteek pedals, thats for sure...

What's the title of that post? I searched and can't find it.

• Members

There are more boss pedals on famous, sucessful guitar players pedalsboards than any other brandname...

I get your point, but that statement is misleading. When you consider Boss' breadth of line vs virtually any other effects manufacturer, this is bound to be the case. If there were equal numbers of every individual pedal spread evenly across all boards, you'd expect to see Boss outnumber any other individual manufactuer. And in reality, Boss pedals severely outnumber just about everything else, making this even more likely, which explains things nicely.

That said, the boutique market is highly specialized, even among professional musicians. I played guitar for years before I ever heard the term, or seen a brand other than what GC has to sell. My point is that it is entirely likely that unless you are a complete fx junkie, you would have never stumbled on our little niche market. Now with the proliferation of boutique manufacturers and online sellers, I fully expect that boutique pedals will gain "share of board." But to compare their share with that of Boss isn't fair, unless you feel that the ratio of Boss pedals to all boutique pedals is comparable to the benefit of using a boutique over a comparable Boss pedal. Given the volume of Boss' production, this would be virtually impossible to achieve.

Yet even with our snobby fx attitudes (with all due respect to TGP), Boss sees quite a bit of love on boards here.

• Members

being famous is overrated

besides, we're talkign fashion not functionality

• Members
Originally posted by hbar

I get your point, but that statement is misleading. When you consider Boss' breadth of line vs virtually any other effects manufacturer, this is bound to be the case. If there were equal numbers of every individual pedal spread evenly across all boards, you'd expect to see Boss outnumber any other individual manufactuer. And in reality, Boss pedals severely outnumber just about everything else, making this even more likely, which explains things nicely.

That said, the boutique market is highly specialized, even among professional musicians. I played guitar for years before I ever heard the term, or seen a brand other than what GC has to sell. My point is that it is entirely likely that unless you are a complete fx junkie, you would have never stumbled on our little niche market. Now with the proliferation of boutique manufacturers and online sellers, I fully expect that boutique pedals will gain "share of board." But to compare their share with that of Boss isn't fair, unless you feel that the ratio of Boss pedals to
all
boutique pedals is comparable to the benefit of using a boutique over a comparable Boss pedal. Given the volume of Boss' production, this would be virtually impossible to achieve.

Yet even with our snobby fx attitudes (with all due respect to TGP), Boss sees quite a bit of love on boards here.

actually I agree. :p
I do think more sucessful GP's have started to rely on booteek pedals. I think this is due to the cheaper cost of making, easier to get parts and the internet :idea:

• Members

Originally posted by Cosmic_Monkey

What's the title of that post? I searched and can't find it.

"Pedalboard(s) Of The Stars" Collection! .......is the name of the thread. its a fun one to look at...

• Members

Boss pedals are so pedestrian , maybe so, but I'm a proud pedestrian. I've bought and sold a lot of pedals, over the years. I've been disappointed with just as many boutique pedals as cheaper Boss pedals. But of course when the the disappointment costs you a few hundred bucks the sting is much worse.

When I look at my shelf there are a few expensive boutique boxes that never really made it on to my pedalboard and I haven't gotten around to selling yet. There are a few boutique boxes on the my board (MJM, Frantone, Barber) but I also have:

MIJ SD-1 - I've had it for years, it's all chiped up and it still works and sounds great, some guy gave it to me back around '89.

Boss PS-5 Super Shifter - absolutly brillant octave/harmonizer, incredibly verstatile and compact little box.

Boss TU-2 tuner, works great, powers a few extra stomps, what's not to like.

Keeley modded DS-1 - I like it a much better than the Emma and Fulltone boxes I have lying around

Keeley modded TR-2, sweet sounding trem boost.

Overall I think when you consider the cost to quality ratio certain Boss pedals are a very good deal. I really don't care about impressing the guys on this forum with my pedalboard, I just want to get my guitar to sing the way I want it to. Some of those Boss pedals get me to where I want to go.

• Members

My board was with out boss for a good long while...(except the tu-2) but now Boss is taking over....

DD-20 (does this really count??)
DD-5....which I acually like for it's "poor"sound...I love that the delays are brittle and have added highs...I have warm delays covered...(Memory Man, Memory Lane)
and a keeley modded Blues Driver.

Boss pedals are so popular (because of they are very easily acquired) and have become staples of guitar sound.

For instance...(this may not be the best example but none the less...)
Maserati...a band I enjoy uses a DD-5 some of their songs. DD-5's add highs to the repeats. They influence my music and so sometimes I want that sound, with the extra highs.

Sometimes when bands that we like use "crappy" boss pedals the sounds get in our head and that's become what we want to here. It becomes..."good".

Does anyone follow me with this thought...?

• Members

Aesthetically, I like the Boss design. In particular, I like the two/three knob pedals with the larger knobs, DS-1/SD-1, CE-2 to name a few. Pedalboard real-estate has become precious to me lately, as I got tired of dragging around a board that weighed over 60lbs and didn't fit through most doorways, and if I can find two pedals that sound pretty similar, chances are I'm going to go with the smaller one. I've chosen a few Boss pedals over competition many times due to their size. And with the advent of the internet/DIY'ers, it's now feasible to get better things from the standard Boss pedal.

.chris

• Members

doubt they're gonna upgrade their hardware (i.e. appearance) of their boss pedals.. since its already been around for so many years.. but they can always upgrade their software but changing the stock caps and resistors to better ones.. anyway pple who buy BOSS shld mod the hell out of them.. lots of potential there..

• Members

Boss makes some really cool stuff that is available everywhere and they have a very good reputation for reliablilty. If I was out on tour I would definately build a rig that had more readily available pedals. If something happens to crap out on you, or God forbid the trailer is stolen all it would take is a trip to a GC or a Schmitt Music to get the essential effects. I think that a lot of the touring guys go with Boss because they are practical.

Archived