Bad Monkey as semi-clean boost after heavy dirt?

tocs100

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

I spent a few minutes with one a while back ago... with the gain down it sounded tubescreamerish to me.

Thanks Bri. Where are the thousands of Bad Monkey users? (Is there a rally somewhere I don't know about?)

• Members

Bad Monkey does lots of stuff well.

I do prefer the ts9 just a hair over the BM as a clean boost.

On a side note on the BM:

I got this ancient tube amp off of ebay for $100.00,

I was dubious at first as it looked like a beat up pillpw case and had a lot of mold growing in the cab. But 1oo bones I figger WTF.

I get it and it sounds absolutely beautifull when dimed (good clean too for that maatter it has a single 10", 2 EL-84s, 2 12AX7s and a 6BK4 rectifier).

It sounds just like the first two ZEP albums I {censored} you not.

Well I put S`enior Monkey in front of it and put the gain at about 10:00 and the drive at full on. bass and treb at noon. BOOM EDDIE!!!

I'm not kidding. The amp only lokes to be run with no pedals in front of it they seem to kill the beautifull sound but that 40 dollar Monkey kicks it into hard rock overdrive!!!

• Members

I have 2. Run one with gain low/level high for a kick of my crunch channel and one run with gain high/level low for some kick on the clean channel. Both work great. I'd say my Keeley modded TS-9 maybe does the gain on the clean channel better, but not by much. These things are great. I also run one or two with a Crate Powerblock for the ultra cheap setup that sounds pretty darn good.

• Members

VERY transparent boost. They don't have as much overall boost as say the Boss SD1 for instance. But they're way more silent. I got mine today.

Boosting a high gain channel, this pedal actually adds warmth and mojo, at least it seems so to me. It really made things better.

Archived