Humbuckers and fuzz?

• Members

So I was watching this Spiritualized video on Youtube and noticed Jason's use of the humbucker-equipped Tele thinline. I'd love to get one of those humbucker equipped teles sometime, but I'm not sure how they'll react to the millions of fuzz pedals I have.

Anyone have any experiences using humbuckers with fuzzes? Do they get too muddy, or farty? Or am I forced to stay with a single coil for the best fuzz tones?

Oh, and here's the Spiritualized video. Pretty neato.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R-BeDy1FtJs&search=spiritualized%20spacemen

• Members

My sg into fuzz sounds superb...lower impedance hummer pups are better imo than the hi outputs. Think about Jimi's tone playing redhouse on the SG or Eric Johnson's 335 tone, Clapton's Cream era stuff...there are tons of great examples to choose from.

• Members
Originally posted by jonny guitar

My sg into fuzz sounds superb...lower impedance hummer pups are better imo than the hi outputs. Think about Jimi's tone playing redhouse on the SG or Eric Johnson's 335 tone, Clapton's Cream era stuff...there are tons of great examples to choose from.

I totally forgot Clapton played an SG :o

I'm not sure how hot the reissue wideranges are, but I'm just paranoid about losing my guitar in the mix.

• Members

I've got a 72 thinline RI. The bridge pickup works very well with fuzzes. The neck pickup is too muddy for them though, although I can get some seriously cool tones with the neck pickup by turning the tele tone knob all the way down while using a Fulltone 70. It actually brightens up the fuzz instead of darkening it for some crazy reason.

taco

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

I've got a 72 thinline RI. The bridge pickup works very well with fuzzes. The neck pickup is too muddy for them though, although I can get some seriously cool tones with the neck pickup by turning the tele tone knob all the way down while using a Fulltone 70. It actually brightens up the fuzz instead of darkening it for some crazy reason.

taco

Are you using the stock 250 k pots on yours Papa, or did you swap them out? I hear that brightens 'em up.

• Members

I bought a well known brand Germanium Fuzz that was highly reccommended by a fellow senior forumite who happens to use Fender guitars.

Using it with an LP Custom through a pair of 1966 Gibson Skylarks ( 2 x 6bq5 A/B) it sounded terrible. It also sounded bad through a Marshall 50W JMP half stack.

It seemed like it was choking on the signal, very farty and compressed.

just my 2 cents

• Members

I use my MJM BritBender (three knob) with my Gibson LP with whatever humbuckers they came with in '77 and also my Peavy Mantis (the original Dimebag guitar) with a Duncan JB and the tone is great but I need to boost the signal with my Lil Leo for soloing to cut thru. But for rhythm lines and single note riffing, the humbucker work great with it. Oh yeah, I'm playing thru a Marshall 100w JMP w/4x12 cab.

• Members

You just need to watch the gain levels on your amp. You need to run the amp a bit cleaner than you would with single coils, otherwise things get way too compressed, especially with high gain fuzzes like a Si Fuzz Face or Tonebenders. I mainly use humbuckers, an SG and Les Paul, with my fuzzes.

• Members
Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

You just need to watch the gain levels on your amp. You need to run the amp a bit cleaner than you would with single coils, otherwise things get way too compressed, especially with high gain fuzzes like a Si Fuzz Face or Tonebenders. I mainly use humbuckers, an SG and Les Paul, with my fuzzes.

Well, I'm running an Ampeg V4, so I don't think clean will be a problem. :D Thanks for the advice, guys.

• Members

although I can get some seriously cool tones with the neck pickup by turning the tele tone knob all the way down while using a Fulltone 70. It actually brightens up the fuzz instead of darkening it for some crazy reason.

taco

+1 this strange inversion thing happens with my sg as well. :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by ChitownTerror

Are you using the stock 250 k pots on yours Papa, or did you swap them out? I hear that brightens 'em up.

Mine are the stock 250 k. Also note that my guitar is MIJ and has ceramic pickups which sound quite different than the alnicos in the MIMs. It's a brighter sounding pickup. The bridge actually sounds pretty good IMO, but the neck is too muddy.

That said, I'm going to put my Vintage Vibe Humbucker sized P90 in the bridge position and maybe some kind of Filtertron or something in the neck position (I'll need a custom pickguard to do it). I'll also put in 500K pots.

taco

• Members

Mine are the stock 250 k. Also note that my guitar is MIJ and has ceramic pickups which sound quite different than the alnicos in the MIMs. It's a brighter sounding pickup. The bridge actually sounds pretty good IMO, but the neck is too muddy.

That said, I'm going to put my Vintage Vibe Humbucker sized P90 in the bridge position and maybe some kind of Filtertron or something in the neck position (I'll need a custom pickguard to do it). I'll also put in 500K pots.

taco

Filtertrons get a brother sprung! :love:

Archived