Comprehensive Dave Knudsen|Minus the Bear| guide (gear, tips, tricks)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Does anyone know what kind of guitar Dave is using these days? When I saw him, he was using a gold PRS.

As for the knights intro. He plays it 3-5-5-3-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5 on A live. For using the DL4s, I don't know what he's doing to get that synthy sound, but here's a good way to do the looping. You have to use at least 2 DL4s, and you have to have quick feet. First, sample the 3 note only. Then sample the 5. It's real quick. You have to TAP-PLUCK-TAP on the record button. Try it until you get about the right time.

DL4-1 is assigned to 3, DL4-2 is assigned to 5. Here's the sequence:

DL4-1 Play Once
DL4-2 Play Once
DL4-2 Play Once
DL4-1 Play Once
DL4-2 Play
(Repeat Phrase)
DL4-2 Stop, DL4-1 Play once SIMULTANEOUSLY

• Members

correct pbone!

I just want to know, is the phrase recorded in half speed and then doubled or what? It doesn't sound normal but i dont know if it sounds double speed.

I've worked out White Mystery and The Fix. My mate just bought another dl4 so i will try borrow it and work out Dave and Jake's loops.

• 4 months later...
  • Members
Does anyone know what kind of guitar Dave is using these days? When I saw him, he was using a gold PRS.

As for the knights intro. He plays it 3-5-5-3-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5 on A live. For using the DL4s, I don't know what he's doing to get that synthy sound, but here's a good way to do the looping. You have to use at least 2 DL4s, and you have to have quick feet. First, sample the 3 note only. Then sample the 5. It's real quick. You have to TAP-PLUCK-TAP on the record button. Try it until you get about the right time.

DL4-1 is assigned to 3, DL4-2 is assigned to 5. Here's the sequence:

DL4-1 Play Once

DL4-2 Play Once

DL4-2 Play Once

DL4-1 Play Once

DL4-2 Play

(Repeat Phrase)

DL4-2 Stop, DL4-1 Play once SIMULTANEOUSLY

Here's my "I don't feel like getting another DL-4 just to play minus the bear" version :D . I use a pog with dry and an octave up for the synth type sound.

Here's how I loop it:
With pog (or octave) enabled, set the DL-4 looper to half-time and just loop a low D (in drop D) as a quarter note.
Switch the looper to half-time and you get that quick looping effect without worrying about getting the loop timing right.

To play:
Play a 2 on the A string
DL-4 Play Once (Hit it twice)
Play a 2 on the A string
DL-4 Play
*Hit the Play button right on the downbeat as you play the first note on the A string again

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Members
Here's the Planet of Ice pedalboard:

poidkpb.jpg

Dave said on guitargeek that the TS-9 is now a fulltone OCD, and that the red pedal is an enema fx mingebox (fuzz/octave). Anyone know if the TS-9 is back on for the tour or not?

The TS-9 is back. i just saw them last night at Bimbo's 365. Dave is amazing. Got to high five him at the end!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Anyone know why the ditched the Twins and went Mesa? They still use Tube Screamers, so it can't be to have channel switching.

Also, why OCD's on the record and not live?

Because The Mesas sound nice/sponsorship?

Because Pros use Boteeks in teh studios and Toansuckers on the road :cop::blah:

• Members

Anyone know why the ditched the Twins and went Mesa? They still use Tube Screamers, so it can't be to have channel switching. Also, why OCD's on the record and not live?

Mesa thing is because they got sponsored. IMO they sounded way better on the twins. I love Mesa and the Lonestar amps, but the Twins just suited MTB.

As far as the OCD, it's just a recording thing. When recording things are so much different than live, and maybe Dave wasn't sticking out or fitting in a certain way the drums, bass, and other guitars were mixed, so they tried a different dirt pedal for what they wanted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Members

hey guys sorry to bring this thread back up but I too am curious about the twin to mesa change.

Does anyone know if they are both using the clean channel with pedals? or are they channel switching?

And what albums did they stop using twins

Archived