OT: Is it safe to run a 50 watt speaker with a 30 watt amp?

• Members

I have a 50 watt weber blue dog that I just installed into my laney vc30 1x12 combo. Didn't notice any problems other than it is more quiet, but I think that is due to me screwing up a tube while exchanging the speaker. Would a different speaker change the volume? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Members
Originally posted by Redfox777

no its 8 ohm
:D
. But what about the amp being more quiet? Did I screw up a tube?

Did you compare efficiency and frequency response of the two speakers when deciding what to install? Maybe the new one is less efficient.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Did you compare efficiency and frequency response of the two speakers when deciding what to install? Maybe the new one is less efficient.

Yeah I checked up on it. The old speaker was a stock H/H Invader. The blue dog has been broken in. It was in my old peavey classic 50 and there was no sound loss there. Of coarse it was paired with another one then. I have a hard time believe the Invader has anything over a blue dog.

• Members
Originally posted by Redfox777

Yeah I checked up on it. The old speaker was a stock H/H Invader. The blue dog has been broken in. It was in my old peavey classic 50 and there was no sound loss there. Of coarse it was paired with another one then. I have a hard time believe the Invader has anything over a blue dog.

So what are the specs on the two drivers if you indeed compared them?

Archived