Short delay into long delay is awesome

• Members

Short juicy analog delay into a longer tap tempo'd digital delay is so freaking addictive that I can't turn it off!!! I don't hook up my second delay very often because it is 18 volt and a pain in the ass but I just love it.:thu:

The sound is just so lush and full and easy to manipulate the delays for cool harmonics and overtones.

Just had to get that off my chest.

:wave:

• Members

i currently do that with a Boss DD5 into a Line 6 DL4, but slowly i'm working this new EHX DMM into the front of the chain to take the place of the DD5.

i'm thinking it's gonna be hella sweet.

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

Agreed. I can only stomach my DD-5 if I've got my DMM going with it. I really must get the hicut mod for the DD5.

taco

actually, the reason i use my DD5 out front of the other one is, i can get my DD5 to clip just right when i do these fast picking sustained notes.

most other analog delays don't clip like that, so too much of the pick attack ruins the effect.

but the DMM has that input level that fries out pretty easily, so it'll work for me.

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

I think the analog into digital is the ticket: digital/digital is too sterile;

bah- that's a myth.

there's plenty of sterile sounding analog delays out there, and plenty of wonderful sounding digi boxes.

it's a lovely playground for mid-price delay buyers everywhere, with lots of good sounding stuff to be had for nice prices.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

bah- that's a myth.

there's plenty of sterile sounding analog delays out there, and plenty of wonderful sounding digi boxes.

I am not saying that digital one its own is sterile as my number #1 is and Echo which is digital....I am saying that one digital into another digital is too sterile compared to the sound of one analog and one digital. Ain't a myth; it is my opinion.

• Members

Originally posted by ollenorin

why digital after analog ?

i thought short digital into longer analog would be cooler.

b/c my analog has 300 ms and my digital has up to 3 seconds:wave:

however, it works well b/c I can get the analog just on the verge of self oscillation on a short delay and put that into the long delay

• Members

I got a chance to go on stage before a Joe Satriani show (@ the Warfield in San Francisco in Dec 04) and check out his rig. He used 2 Boss delay pedals, one was marked "Short" and the other "long". I had never seen anyone use 2 delays before that night, and let me tell you, he did some cool stuff with that setup. So much so, that I want to run this type of setup myself (I'm sure what I'll do with it will be far less cool:D ). I see a DD-6 in the Boss catalog now. I assume the DD-5 is an older model, so what is it that you like better about it?

Who uses the line 6 delay modeler?. If I bought new gear, any other suggestions for what two pedals to use for this setup?

BTW, do you use them in the loop, or out front, or some combo of this?

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

I am not saying that digital one its own is sterile as my number #1 is and Echo which is digital....I am saying that one digital into another digital is too sterile compared to the sound of one analog and one digital. Ain't a myth; it is my opinion.

i can guarantee my DE7 feeding into my DL4 sounds tons better than a Johnson analog pedal feeding a Boss DD6.

see what i'm saying?

merely stating "analog = really great sound" ignores the fact that there's some {censored}TY analog pedals out there that can be totally surpassed by digital boxes these days.

builders have really started figuring out how to emulate good analog boxes, and the "sterile digital" stuff just doesn't fly with me anymore.

and i've owned a lot of delays.

it's subjective, yes.

but that doesn't mean that you should ignore being pragmatic about spending less while still being able to sound good.

• Members

Originally posted by BlisteredPinky

I got a chance to go on stage before a Joe Satriani show (@ the Warfield in San Francisco in Dec 04) and check out his rig. He used 2 Boss delay pedals, one was marked "Short" and the other "long". I had never seen anyone use 2 delays before that night, and let me tell you, he did some cool stuff with that setup. So much so, that I want to run this type of setup myself (I'm sure what I'll do with it will be far less cool:D ). I see a DD-6 in the Boss catalog now. I assume the DD-5 is an older model, so what is it that you like better about it?

Who uses the line 6 delay modeler?. If I bought new gear, any other suggestions for what two pedals to use for this setup?

BTW, do you use them in the loop, or out front, or some combo of this?

i use my 2 delays offset in front of a slightly gritty amp. sort of a sound like The Edge used to get in War era U2.

i just got the DD5 because it was cheaper used, than a new DD6. some people say they can tell the difference, but i honestly don't know.

a cheaper setup for the short simple delay/long delay with capabilities would be something like an Ibanez DE7 with a Boss DD20, or a Boss DD3 with a DD20.

you could get that setup going for just over 200 bucks.

• Members

Originally posted by sonaboy

see what i'm saying?

It isn't based on myth and I never stated, "analog = really great sound", but let me rephrase for you....

out of all the delay pedals that I have personally used when combining two delays, I find that digital/digital sounds more sterile sounding than digital/analog combined and analog/analog is too murky. The aforementioned results are based on my real live experiences and have not been influenced by anything that I have been told or read. Your results may vary and I encourage you to form your own opinion rather than taking mine as infinite truths. :wave: :wave:

• Members

Originally posted by BlisteredPinky

I checked the DD-20, and that seems like a great piece of gear. Seems very versital. But a DD-3 is digital right? Many of the opinions I see say analog is warmer, and more desirable. Can you recommend a good analog pedal to put in front?

analog:

deluxe memory man, by electro harmonix

Ibanez AD9 reissue

DOD FX96

those are the lower cost analog delays out there.

then you can get into some serious high dollar gear like:

Diamond Memory Lane

Echoczar

Moog delay

"warmer" is a matter of taste, i guess.

plenty of digital delays filter or cut high frequencies like older analog models do.

the DD3 probably doesn't, but say, an Ibanez DE7, or a Digitech Digidelay will (on certain settings).

• Members

I use a POD PRO with a Quadraverb in the effects loop.

I have a couple patches where I'm using a short delay from the POD PRO with a long delay from the Quadraverb.

I like it! I agree... It can be a very cool sound!

• Members

Yeah, my Rockman analog delay after or before my Boss digital delay sounds SSSOOO much better than the Boss with another digital delay. It totally tames the tinny hi boost Boss adds to the delay circuit. (That darn Rockman takes too much board-real-estate though!) That's my gear revelation for April.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Me too: Greenbox MXR Analog Delay >>> EHX DMM >>>solid state Gibson amp (some ancient thing).

My dirt and swirl go straight into a tube Carvin Bel Air.

Bought a Guyatone MD3 for some long digital delays but it crapped out and died.

The MXR before the DMM just sounds better than the DMM without it ;)

Archived