I want to live where soul meets body

• Members
Originally posted by papa taco

Because I happen to like them? Because they won a grammy? Because they're all mainstream now?

Well, you sir, can lick my right on the hasselhoff.

:wave:

Don't get me wrong. I loved DCFC and still do. How can you not love a band that moves one of their best songs "Blacking Out the Friciton" into a song like Sebadoh's "Brand New Love" or Joy Divison's "Atmosphere"?

I'm just less than satisfied with their latest release. And I find it EXTREMELY ironic that this release was the first under their major label and it's much more radio friendly.

But hey... I still absolutely love We Have the Facts. That will never change.

• Members

I've had this debate so many times with my friends.

It's ridiculous that someone can like a band so much, and once they get a big label and win a grammy and make "popular" music, they are all of a sudden gay. Listen to any band, and they change with time. Don't you think it would get boring to listen to the same thing over and over again? Pretty much the same song, but with different lyrics and a few chords moved around? {censored}.

But then again, these are the same friends who are convinced all unsigned bands are better than signed bands because they have "no restrictions and no expectations." And, the same friends who just about refuse to buy/listen to music that is under any big label. :freak: :freak: :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by arexjay

I've had this debate so many times with my friends.

It's ridiculous that someone can like a band so much, and once they get a big label and win a grammy and make "popular" music, they are all of a sudden gay. Listen to any band, and they change with time. Don't you think it would get boring to listen to the same thing over and over again? Pretty much the same song, but with different lyrics and a few chords moved around? {censored}.

But then again, these are the same friends who are convinced all unsigned bands are better than signed bands because they have "no restrictions and no expectations." And, the same friends who just about refuse to buy/listen to music that is under any big label.
:freak:

I think you are missing a major point. They don't just change sound because it's what they are "feeling." They change sound because they are told to be more radio friendly.

People don't hate because they go big and they sound different. People hate how they go big and then change their sound to something that is more marketable.

• Members

All I know is that Something About Airplanes is at the 5th percentile for awesomeness among all of the records I've bought. And I don't care whether or not their lyrics are gay, I just don't think they rank very well in the "thoughtful lyrics" category.

I have to admit Line of Best Fit is a pretty cool song, though.

• Members

Originally posted by beezdeez

I think you are missing a major point. They don't just change sound because it's what they are "feeling." They change sound because they are told to be more radio friendly.

Are you sure..? Have you sat in on some of the label talks..? You've talked to their A&R guy..?

Transatlanticism isn't super weird, and neither is The Photo Album, maybe it's just the way their've been moving for a couple of years, you know to a bit more pop'y stage..?

And you can't stay young, angy anf affraid all your life, you will get old sooner or later..

• Members

Originally posted by fortytwo

Are you sure..? Have you sat in on some of the label talks..? You've talked to their A&R guy..?

Transatlanticism isn't super weird, and neither is The Photo Album, maybe it's just the way their've been moving for a couple of years, you know to a bit more pop'y stage..?

And you can't stay young, angy anf affraid all your life, you will get old sooner or later..

Let's not be so naive. The record company wants to make money. They don't want to lose money. They want you to sound like what sells. And they will tell you how to do it.

I mean I can't blame them. They are making money. They deserve it. Doesn't mean I have to like their latest release. While Gibbard is still amazing lyrically, it just didn't do much for me.

• Members

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Exactly. All shouts of "sell-out" are based on assumption and prejudice.

I think you are confusing me with other people. I don't dislike their album because they are making money off of it. I'm glad they are. I just didn't like it. I think it's VERY far from their usual style. I mean change is change. But it's hard to see them being signed to a major label and concurrently going from fookin' awesome to meh. It's hard not to think the label caused that.

But hey, good for them. I'm glad they are making money. They've been around for 8 or so years and deserve to live nicely off their music.

Archived