Anybody got love for 80's King Crimson?

• Members

I just don't like them, they never did anything for me. I don't get it why people think they're so great. SOAD is so much better imo.
I also like Cannibal Corps, My Chimical Imbalance, and Signoor Boss. Those guys really rule. Those Crimson dudes are just too old.

:D

:freak:

• Members

haha. But seriously, what a diverse band Crimson is. They've gone from 60's experimental prog (that was parle-ing many different types of music that hadn't been mixed at the time), to 70's hard rock with Red, and then moved into experimental 80's music. I mean hell these guys are still making rock music. And if i remember correctly, they toured with Tool during the Lateralus tour.

• Members

Did anyone else see one of those King Crimson shows where they opened for Tool?? {censored}ing incredible!! Belew only sang one song from the newest album and the rest was HARDCORE angular jamming with only a few nods to previous themes. The most incredible Crimson music I have ever heard and of course totally unreleased ( :rolleyes: ).

80's and 60's crimson is definately "of a time" whereas 70's crimson was (at times) some kind of crazy prophetic transmission which has yet to be "dated". I'm speaking largely of the instrumental/improvisational stuff. It's all good thou. 80's crim has some great dance tunes, and he's just so much better than the edge at doing "that edge thing" that it's retarded.

• Members

Fripp, althouigh a great player, is somewhat of an elitest snob (I know, can you believe it?).

When they first regrouped with the Discipline tour, they were interviewing him on a local radio station, and they guy interviewing ask him "What can we expect" (I know, sort of a dumb question), to which Fripp replied "Expect nothing".

Then later, at the show (Cullen auditorium at the U of H), he was walking down the aisle, and some clown jumps up as Fripp was walking toward the stage and stuck his hand out to shake Fripp's hand. Fripp just totally ignored the guy (can't really blame him for that) and walked right past him while he's still standing there with his hand out.

Between both of those little incidents, I sort of got an idea of what a pompous twit he was, and still is.

But, he's still a bad-ass mo-fo on guitar.

• Members

80's and 60's crimson is definately "of a time" whereas 70's crimson was (at times) some kind of crazy prophetic transmission which has yet to be "dated". I'm speaking largely of the instrumental/improvisational stuff. It's all good thou. 80's crim has some great dance tunes, and he's just so much better than the edge at doing "that edge thing" that it's retarded.

I completely agree. Fripp is so much more than the edge could ever be, although I never really thought about their music in comparison to U2. I also think of them more related to Gabriel, Police, Talking Heads, Bowie, but thats probably because of the eno influence going on back then.

• Members
Originally posted by mumford

My least favorite period of my favorite band, but I still love those albums.

Wait I lied. The first three albums bore me so much I forget they exist. That's my least favorite period. :p

From Islands on, I've liked everything (except maybe The Nashville Rehearsals, which I'm not sure counts anyway.)

• Members

The Neal and Jack and Me DVD is pretty cool, it's 80s. It's great that they put out so many DVDs, I just wish they could put out one with really good sound quality. They all sound just ok.

• Members

Originally posted by Man In space

I would have liked them more if Belew wasn't trying to sing like David Byrne most of the time.

Jan

This was about the only thing that bugged me about their 80's output, Belew's voice, and even then not always just certain songs. But he sings much more "rawk" on the new stuff, his voice sounds a bit more raspy and raw, not as smooth. Maybe just age, but I like it a lot better now.

• Members
Originally posted by jimihalen

The Power to Believe is awesome, though.

First seven albums = gold.

Their recent stuff is still good, though. The 80's, for me, was sort of a lull. Good music, but I just have a hard time getting in that 80's sound. Then they came back nice and strong with Thrak. I want those bastards to get back in the studio. :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by Lensrock

You don't like In the Court or In the Wake? Wow.

Not really, no. The occasional song I like, but overall I find them kind of boring. Don't like Lizard either.

• Members
Originally posted by greaseenvelope

Did anyone else see one of those King Crimson shows where they opened for Tool?? {censored}ing incredible!! Belew only sang one song from the newest album and the rest was HARDCORE angular jamming with only a few nods to previous themes. The most incredible Crimson music I have ever heard and of course totally unreleased (
:rolleyes:
).

When Crimson opened for TOOL they play no unreleased stuff...It was ConstruKction Of Light and Deception Of The Thrush(EP) songs with three old songs..Elephant Talk, Thela Hun Ginjeet and Red. So if you really liked it and want to hear it again...pick up the TCOL and DOTT discs!
:thu:

• Members

KC rocks. 'nuff said.

Though the 80's stuff isn't my personal favorite period. I've never heard Three of a Different Pair. :( Discipline was pretty great, though, and I think Indiscipline is one of my favorite songs by them. I've always liked them. I have the B'boom live set which was {censored}ing great.

• Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

I've never heard Three of a Different Pair.

Three of a Perfect Pair has some great stuff, especially the title track. It's stronger than Beat.

Something that has frustrated me is that while they continue to evolve, in some ways, they haven't grown in a long time. Every album they release anymore has what amounts to Discipline in one form or another. I love their recent stuff, don't get me wrong, but I just wish they'd move on a little further. I loved The ConstruKction of Light, but it was essentially a really heavy version of things they'd done before.

Archived