True Bypass Volume Pedal?

chakosh

• Members

Anyone know of a good TB Volume pedal? Budget is under $150. Basically, I'd like to be able to do the volume swells similar to "La Villa Strangiato", but not have to sacrifice the tone coming from my Marshall or my Budda to do it.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

• Members

While it would be nice to teach my pinky how to do the volume swells, it's a little more difficult considering the placement of my volume knobs on the LP and the BC.

How do you mean "As soon as you let go of the true bypass life can begin"?

• Members

Originally posted by chakosh

While it would be nice to teach my pinky how to do the volume swells, it's a little more difficult considering the placement of my volume knobs on the LP and the BC.

Reason #128 why you need to play a tele:thu:

• Members

A volume pedal is always on in a simplistic and realistic sense. True-bypass is completely unnecessary for something like this. If anything you just want a volume pedal that's transparent (key word there). Personally I'm content with my Ernie Ball Vol. Jr., but have heard great things about Goodrich - although I can't say off the top of my head that I know of a single storefront or online store that carries them.

Perhaps some of you blokes can recommend alternatives to Ernie Ball?

• Members

Jeffrey -

That looks pretty spiffy... Where would I be able to try one of those out? Guitar X? Wildwood?

Go for the Goodrich L120 model. They are hard to find in stores, but they are very good and a little more transparent than the EB's.

If you want something you can find in a store, probably have to go with EB or Boss.

• Members

Jeffrey -

That looks pretty spiffy... Where would I be able to try one of those out? Guitar X? Wildwood?

I'm not sure, but those would be the stores to check. I know that National Speaker/Sound does not have any volume pedals - at least the last time I was there looking to try some Cornish stuff. He was out of all the Cornish stuff :cry:

I ordered mine before trying based on the reviews at TGP. I'm quite happy with it and I'm sure you'd be happy too. Like I said, I did buy the LDR model as I wanted the best and could not stand any tone suckage. Mine is totally transparent and when I do long delayed/chorusy swells, it sounds like a phakin pro synth!!:cool:

• Members

why dont you just buy any old volume pedal and put it in a TB loop? that way you can engage the loop only on the songs where you need to do volume swells and you wont experience any signal loss during the times you dont need the pedal.

• Members

p.s......i made myself a TB volume pedal by gutting a dunlop crybaby i had lying around. all you have to do is take out the circuit board and wire the pot to the jacks and switch. very simple.

• Members

why dont you just buy any old volume pedal and put it in a TB loop? that way you can engage the loop only on the songs where you need to do volume swells and you wont experience any signal loss during the times you dont need the pedal.

Actually that won't help with the tone suckage of the EB pedals during use. When I was trying a new one out, I lost a ton of highs and it was very muffled. It just wasn't acceptable IMHO.

;)

• Members

Have you been to Guitar X? Great little store... It's up here in Denver. Dude's got a ton of great gear.

Yeah, I really like his store. It's so nice that I'm always afraid to touch anything. :(

I should give the local small shops more of my business to support them. I must admit I'm kind of an online junky. However, when it comes to guitars I require a great return policy and/or being able to play them before purchase.

I HATE going into the GC's. I only go there to buys strings, pics, capos, etc. :cool:

• Members

Yeah, I'm the same way. I don't even buy my strings from GC anymore... I get my pics and my acoustic strings from Guitar X and my strings (Gibson Humbucker) from Wildwood. I go to GC to look for good used gear that I can turn around quickly on here or e-bay... Other than that, worthless. Their staff doesn't know what they're talking about, etc...

I will look around for that volume pedal tho. It does look nice.

Thanks for all the help guys.

• Members

well in the case of the ernie ball pedal....get a morley volume pedal. its got a buffer so it wont suck your tone....and if you put it in a loop then the buffer wont affect your tone when bypassed...though having one buffer at the start of your chain is probably something you can benefit from...unless of course youre using a bunch of fuzzes.

• Members

Yeah, I'm the same way. I don't even buy my strings from GC anymore... I get my pics and my acoustic strings from Guitar X and my strings (Gibson Humbucker) from Wildwood. I go to GC to look for good used gear that I can turn around quickly on here or e-bay... Other than that, worthless. Their staff doesn't know what they're talking about, etc...

I will look around for that volume pedal tho. It does look nice.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Don't get the ernie ball its a POS

The best general all round kick ass volume pedal in your price range is the Goodrich passive.... you should be able to find one for about 125$...I bought mine from truetonemusic in santa monica. It'll do exactly what you want and it's pretty safe to buy without trying first. The only complaint I have is the input and ouput are on the same side of the pedal..so that caused me problems mounting on a board.

I've also owned the LDR2 and it's a killer volume pedal.. It is so clean and pristine... but it's almost too clean... I found myself liking a little bit of clipping and a little bit of dirt of the passive.

For volume swells...NOTHING beats the zvex tremolo probe..NOTHING...but it's expensive...

• Members

I was in the same boat.

Les Paul player, always had trouble w/ vol pedal sucking tone, & do a lot of La Villa type stuff.

I have an older EB volume pedal. I put a 1M pot in, helped some, still sucked tone.

I drilled a hole in the side & put a DPDT switch in & made it true bypass.

Just kick it on the side to activate.

Archived