Best Phaser/swirl Pedal Under $50 New?

tocs100

• Members

i can vouch for the dod fx20C too. very nice phase sound.. i have it set for really slow rate (maybe 2 or 3 on a scale of 10) with the depth about half way and resonance on a 1/4.. very nice subtle ambient swirl without doing the whole woooossh thing

i tend to leave it on all the time on the ambient side of my pedalboard. and the signal is noticably lacklustre without it on.

• Members
Originally posted by freeridstylee

get a used eh small stone. Stay away from the behringer vp. it sounds great, but when bypassed it bleeds some sound through. really wish i would have spent 10-15 more and gotten a used eh.

I had a Small Stone and major volume/tone suckage and didn't want to spend more money to get it modded....

• Members
Originally posted by machine gunner

I had a Small Stone and major volume/tone suckage and didn't want to spend more money to get it modded....

Aren't the new Small Stones true bypass? (Or is that just the Small Clone chorus?)

• Members

Just keep drinking you'll get that swirly sound sooner or later.

Seriously, I tried a few phasers including the EVH phase 90, but they all thinned out my tone. The best one I found for me was the Homebrew Electronics Psilocybe. Fatter than the small stone and a lot more versatile. It kind of combines a small stone, phase 90 and a vibrato all in one...and it's true bypass.

You won't get it for $50, (more like $150) but in my experience, (don't let the "junior" member status fool you, I'm a lot older than the my # of posts look), it's worth a little extra $$ for a truly great pedal. I bought and sold many pedals trying to find the right one and the Psilocybe was it.

• Members
Originally posted by blackmoreisgod

I own the Danelectro Pepperoni Phaser and it's sweet as hell, adds NO noise, and the phasing is wonderfully trippy.
:thu:

That sounds promising for $30 new, and I wouldn't have to mess with any flaky deals on ebay for somethig used.

Has anyone tried the Arion though? They're blowing 'em out for $15 somewhere, and I like their tuner. (HC reviews are by mostly hobbyists on the Arions though.)

• Members

Originally posted by Mittermax

Just keep drinking you'll get that swirly sound sooner or later.

Seriously, I tried a few phasers including the EVH phase 90, but they all thinned out my tone. The best one I found for me was the Homebrew Electronics Psilocybe. Fatter than the small stone and a lot more versatile. It kind of combines a small stone, phase 90 and a vibrato all in one...and it's true bypass.

You won't get it for $50, (more like $150) but in my experience, (don't let the "junior" member status fool you, I'm a lot older than the my # of posts look), it's worth a little extra $$ for a truly great pedal. I bought and sold many pedals trying to find the right one and the Psilocybe was it.

why should we listen to you N00b, you only have like 60 posts.

haha, i'm just kidding! welcome to the board!

i really want to try the HBE phaser!

• Members

Although the poll is open indefinitely, Chicken Salad looks like the winner. If only Dano would rework one of those (and the Pepperoni Phaser & Tuna Melt!) into the $15 Fab line, because I've read too many horror stories about them frying within days...

ATTENTION DANELECTRO: FAB VIBE, PHASER & TREMELO, FAB VIBE, PHASER & TREMELO!!!!

• Members

Originally posted by tocs100

I MIGHT consider $100 for a Zoom G2 IF it can do both a good phaser and a good tremelo. Any testimonials?

Haven't tried the phaser on it yet, but it has a very tweakable tremolo. Nails that choppy Boulevard of Broken Dreams effect which is what I use it for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The only advice I can give is this:

unless what you *really* want is on that list, save up some money and buy something you'll truly get more use from.

That being said, go find yourself a Chandler Digital Stereo Echo.

Now, don't let the 'digital' scare you off. I've got one of these, and it's the only piece of digital gear I own (that's saying something). First time I heard it, I swore I was listening to an old echoplex.

Anyways, aside from delay/echo, it has an awesome modulation section where you can dial in light chorusy stuff to make-you-dizzy swirl and spin. Plus, it's stereo, so if you run two amps you can really do some cool stuff.

They definitely cost more than 50 bucks though. I bought mine a few years back from Music-Go-Round for $150 and from what I've seen since it was a good deal. You could probably find one somewere in a pawn shop or used gear place for around 200 or so.

It's definitely no one-trick pony.

-Doc

Archived