Turn Classic 30 into a Marshall

• Members

Originally posted by therhodeo

Hot British is a little high for me, I cant find anyone with the crunch box and the others are a little modern sounding for me. I'm looking for a more classic Marshall sound not so much 80's or Metal.

talk to brad at tone factor

he always has crunch boxes coming in. Im sure he can hold one for you.

• Members

found in our rehearsal space a "vintage" marshall shredmaster pedal, vintage cause it looks quite old and used :D

yesterday we tried if its still working, yeah nice, plugged it in between my classic 30 and les paul custom, sweet marshallish crunch :)

i don't know how much they go for on evil bay, but have a look maybe you find a deal

• Members
Originally posted by Brian Marshall

talk to brad at tone factor

he always has crunch boxes coming in. Im sure he can hold one for you.

Yeah, TF should have or be about to get the updated version by now. Great price too.

• Members

Well I should have explained that before. Im looking for something to replace the J&H. Im looking at TS clones too. Thats why I wanted true bypass. Maybe quieter too. I just dont really like the tones out of the J&H. Maybe you've got some settings I could try that would be better than what I'm using now. Which I cant even describe as Im at school not home where i can see the pedal.

• Members

Here's what I did to mine to make it more "Marshall-y".

#1 - Replaced the speaker with a Celestion from a Marshall JCM601 combo.

#2 - Replaced the preamp tubes with JJ's

#3 - Put a Japanese Boss DS-1 in front of it with a little dirt from the amp and a little from the pedal.

It's not a spot on Marshall sound, but it gets pretty close if you're looking for that 1970's rock tone.

• Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

Yeah, TF should have or be about to get the updated version by now. Great price too.

he already got them in and shipped them out i guess... i got mine a couple weeks ago, its the new model with the internal trim pots

• Members

Yep, a better speaker (I liked the G12H30 in mine) and some good tubes (I liked JJs in mine) will get you better tones all around. For Marshall in a dirtbox I love the BJF Dyna Red but that's probably out of your price range. A good ol' Vintage Rat sounded pretty killer into my C30, as did the Headshot modded DS-1.

• Members

Originally posted by therhodeo

Well I should have explained that before. Im looking for something to replace the J&H. Im looking at TS clones too. Thats why I wanted true bypass. Maybe quieter too. I just dont really like the tones out of the J&H. Maybe you've got some settings I could try that would be better than what I'm using now. Which I cant even describe as Im at school not home where i can see the pedal.

if you are not happy with the jekkyl side of the pedal then i dont think youll be happy with any TS clones, as the red J&H (jekkyl side) sounded so much like my original TS808 the only real difference was the J&H did not loose the low end when engaged.

i love that pedal, but i set both sides as a boost instead of trying to get dirty tones with it on clean channels. like have the amp dirty when hit hard, have jekkyl side set to push it into a heavier crunch, then have hyde side set to push again into harder rock territory, but thats done with both drives low and levels high

you may be wanting something with less of a mid-hump than TSs give

• Members

Well I really like the J&H's green side but its too noisy for me on the other side. Im ordering the Crunch Box from tonefactor as I'd planned to do that long ago I had just given up on ever finding someone with one in stock. I'm also ordering a Blues Pro to replace the TS side. And the tube swap was already in the works. Thanks for the help.

Archived